PDA

View Full Version : And the shipper of the month award Goes To ....

brewmaster15
02-21-2004, 12:22 AM
JEFF YOUNG!!!!

Hi all,
What a rough 2 days its been for me... I Ordered a bunch of stock from Jeff for the new fish room and hopefully for breeder stock... Everything was going great, I got the racks up and tanks going, Jeff and I arranged the shipping and Then everything went south on us. I was supposed to get the fish yesterday at 3:00 , airport to airport..American Airlines. I tracked it.. and the their website is pretty useless so i called. They told me it got bumped for passenger luggage...Not what I wanted to hear... Then they told me not to worry it would get there on another flight....Great! I thought, until they told me it would not arrive until after cargo closed and I could not get it until the morning! :-\

SO I called Jeff... he got a whole different story. ..Basically They did bump it .. Then somehow lost 3 boxes until late that afternoon... Basically while I was being told one thing the boxes were missing and sitting on a dock...having never left the airport.

Then they took it upon themselves to ship it to chicago... where it had to sit overnight, before being delivered to hartford CT today.

Well to make a long story short, The fish were in transit 38 hours before I got them... I was prepared to find some ripe fertilizer in the bags... :'( :'( :'(

These were not just a few small fish... They were some really good size fishes . I was not a happy camper last night...Didn't sleep a wink.

Well I openned the boxes and was stunned.. 99.99% were alive and kicking. Jeff had triple bagged with 4 ml bags, and used bag buddies as well as oxygen.. Then he used the standard 24 hr heat packs, plus some new 40 hour packs. Those 40 hour packs saved my fish I am sure... out of 28 4" fish I lost NONE!!!!! out of 20 2" fish I lost one single fish!!!! I need to get me some of those 20 hour packs!!

So Kudos to Jeff Young as the recipient of This months award!

Thanks Jeff,
I'd have been miserable if I lost these fish...
-al

brewmaster15
02-21-2004, 12:23 AM
keep in mind these are after 38 hours transit and in my tank on a few hours...

-al

brewmaster15
02-21-2004, 12:24 AM
Last one...I am just so thrilled that these guys survived...

-al

Don_Lee
02-21-2004, 12:25 AM
Great to hear, but I am not surprised at all. Jeff is a great discus man, and really cares about the fish. I am waiting to hear from Mr. G when he receives his in the next couple days.............

WAY TO GO JEFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

chuck
02-21-2004, 12:33 AM
That's fantastic!!! Good job Jeff... :thumbsup:
Nice fish Al !!
chuck

Tad
02-21-2004, 12:35 AM
Al,
Cudos to Jeff on the proper preparation/packaging, and Im so happy that 99.99% are safe at their new home...Great looking batch to fill your new addition :thumbsup:

One question: What is a bag buddie? ???

With the highest regards to Al and Jeff,
Tad

brewmaster15
02-21-2004, 12:43 AM
Hi Tad,
Bag Buddies are a product many use when shipping. They are a pill that put into a bag and this dissolves releasing oxygen and a mild tranquilizer, as well as a few other aids. Jehmco.com sells them.

http://www.jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/WATER_TREATMENTS_ETC_/Water_Treatments/water_treatments.html

as a side note... I recently helped someone ship 3" fish by fedex with only using bag buddies, and some airpump air. They are a great supply for anyone contemplating shipping or going to buy fish a few hours away.

-al

DonnaMite
02-21-2004, 12:48 AM
Wow!

Awesome Job Jeff!!!

Sooooooooo glad it all worked out well! They look like they're beautiful fish!

Donna

Scrappi_tt
02-21-2004, 01:20 AM
Jeff, Do you ship to Trinidad? ;D

Carol_Roberts
02-21-2004, 01:27 AM
That is amazing this time of year. It is cold out there! That red spotted fish sure is striking ;D

Wahter
02-21-2004, 02:11 AM
Good job Jeff! Those fish do look very nice - and they look to be in great shape, even their fins don't look like they were stuck overnight at the airport!

April
02-21-2004, 03:20 AM
they look great. sure glad they made it. itd be a shame if fish that size were lost in shipping. Are you sure those fish werent meant to come to vancouver though Jeff????
think they took a wrong turn!! Lucky Boy Brew!!!

paulmat
02-21-2004, 04:49 AM
Al, I was at Jeff's when he was boxing them up to send to you, and those were worth the worry for sure. Good Luck with them. Paul

slicksta
02-21-2004, 06:21 AM
GREAT STOTY!!!...Happy endings are always nice.
Fish and new fish room look great!
good luck Al.......

Ardan
02-21-2004, 07:01 AM
Nice fish! 8)

I'm glad they made it!

Jason
02-21-2004, 08:56 AM
Good Job JEFF!

Jeff is great! ships me stuff and even has transfered boxes for me! I would'nt be around if it wasnt for him!

gump
02-21-2004, 09:21 AM
Way to go Jeff.
Brew, Don't you hate those dreaded words......."They got bumped!!!"
Glad to hear everything went well in the end.
Pierre

korbi_doc
02-21-2004, 09:45 AM
:bounce2: :bounce2: Great job Jeff, so glad it turned out ok!! I'm always superanxious when waiting for fish, hoping they won't get in trouble! & those bag buddies are a great help for any long trip, & even a short one! Nice fish Al, look forward to seeing'm in 2 wks, lol, Dottie ;D ;D

lkleung007
02-21-2004, 11:14 AM
Hey Al,

Never a dull moment!! Despite the travel time the Discus look great!!!! I'm jealous...hopefully my order will come in soon. ;D

Jeff, great job with the packing and keep them safe for a rough trip!!

Regards, Lester

yippy
02-21-2004, 11:22 AM
Great fish Brew and Jeff,

hey Brew ??? see the bd in pic 2? The one right in front of the filter? he looks like my Cary The BD - look :o

Yappy ???

Glenn
02-21-2004, 11:23 AM
Good job Jeff hope mine take less time to get here . 8 hours till pick up time.

Ryan
02-21-2004, 11:24 AM
Those sure are some pretty fish... I love that spotted one (and I'm not usually a spotted fan). It's been in the 70s in Florida, wish the rest of the country would hurry up and catch up ::) :P

Ryan

yippy
02-21-2004, 11:25 AM
Hey glenn, got those Violets yet? Pics when you do ???

Yappy

gary1218
02-21-2004, 03:56 PM
WOW!!! I can hardly wait to see all those new guys in person when we come down in March - only two more weeks ;D

AND, I can hardly wait to get my first order from Jeff as well. Hopefully he's going to have some nice SSs to ship when he gets back from his next trip towards the end of March.

GARY

CARY_GLdiscus
02-21-2004, 04:06 PM
Sweet! SWEET SWEET!

Ain't no thing but a chicken wing when dealing with Jeff!

The discus look great Al Good Deal!

Cary Gld!

Willie
02-21-2004, 05:03 PM
Al;

What's the spotted one in the middle called? That's a spectacular specimen.

Willie

CARY_GLdiscus
02-21-2004, 05:48 PM
It could be called a willie's Discus with spots hee.hee.hee..

brewmaster15
02-21-2004, 06:12 PM
Hi Willie,
Those are Domestic Red Spotted Greens... I am hoping to cross those into some high quality wild red spotted greens from Paulio and Dave Webber.

all... An update... I'm a happy camper... everyone is doing fine... I still can't believe it... but I am thrilled none-the-less!

-al

Jeff
02-21-2004, 06:53 PM
I'm glad they made it. I try to pack every order as though it's going to be a long flight. Then when something like this happens it's easier on the fish. I'm just happy all worked out. 8)

Glenn
02-21-2004, 10:52 PM
Well just finished tanking my fish Jeff did a great job packing all 20 fish are doing good right out of the bag.

Don_Lee
02-21-2004, 11:13 PM
Great news Glenn! Now you just have to get a digi camera so we can see some pics....of YOU and the fish! lol :o

Don

DiscusinDaytona
02-22-2004, 12:00 PM
Bravo Jeff!! :thumbsup:

Beatuiful fish! Perfect packing! As soon as I have the next tank ready, I know who I'm calling!

Tina