PDA

View Full Version : The Nightmares of Receiving Exported Fish

02-21-2004, 03:39 AM
I'm sure there are some folks here who has purchased fish from abroad and had to pick them up from the airport waiting and being bounced from department to department just to fulfill the tedious paperwork.

Well, I had that first time experience yesterday. What a nightmare it was. One would think that I am a commercial breeder and seller of such large amount of imported fish, juding from the fact that my day at the airport started at 8.20 a.m. and ended at 5.45 p.m. I only came home with four fish!

Is there any easier way to get a small sized package like mines into this country without having to be bounced around and searching for the package (this was the longest wait of them all -- they couldn't find the package!)?

The best thing about it was when I reached home in anxiousness to see Oliver's Wild Curiperas (all about 6" and larger). Gorgeous.

gump
02-21-2004, 09:24 AM
Angie, you may have been better off to drive to Montreal!! LOL
Great place to visit too.
Pierre

Symphy
02-21-2004, 10:13 AM
Angie,

4 curiperas!!!! Wow! Any pics yet?

Besides all the hassle at the airport, was the importing part expensive?

Symphy

oodi
02-21-2004, 12:28 PM
Hi Angie,

We received shipments from Oliver twice last year at San Franciso International, with no problems at all. It only took a couple of hours or less to deal with the airline, customs and Fish and Wildlife. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. It sounds like a screw up by the airline, if they couldn't find the package. Don't give up, and post pics soon!

Judi
:)

lesley
02-21-2004, 06:01 PM
They sound gorgeous Angie,

So you must have got your bigger tank. What did you end up with??

Wilds here in Australia are like hen's teeth!!

Lesley

Tad
02-21-2004, 06:18 PM
Fry Girl,
What Judi and I also did was to make arrangements with the USFW a week prior to arrival of a shipment. They will set up an appointment based upon arrival of shipment. This made a world of difference in the sake of time. Customs is basically a formality and paper sign off so Air Canada can release the fish to your custody. Our last shipment also required a USDA inspection which was resolved by our USFW officer who told Air Canada that it wasnt required. USDA has the full authority to also put the fish in QT and if that was going to happen, obviously the fish would not survive in their care. Luckily we had a great USFW officer who worked with us...Pays to be cordial for sure. I would think for the sake of time that a call to Air Canada (when it comes to deliverys from Oliver) prior to shipment to clarify USDA issues will save time.

Symphy: The cost of shipment can be effected if the services required,of USFW is after 5pm. They will charge you their overtime rate at 1 1/2 of their hourly wage to inspect. All other cost are normal for anytype of international shipments based upon value of item.

IMO shipments like these should be very smooth if you preplan by talking to the various agencys that will be involved prior to shipment and arrival.

HTH,
Tad

02-22-2004, 12:27 AM
Hi Angie,

We received shipments from Oliver twice last year at San Franciso International, with no problems at all. It only took a couple of hours or less to deal with the airline, customs and Fish and Wildlife. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. It sounds like a screw up by the airline, if they couldn't find the package. Don't give up, and post pics soon!

Judi
:)

An hair-raising moment for sure. Thanks Judi. Pictures will follow for certain. --Angie--

Angie,

4 curiperas!!!! Wow! Any pics yet?

Besides all the hassle at the airport, was the importing part expensive?

Symphy

Hi Symphy: That was the least. And, thank goodness it was. ;D --Angie--

Angie, you may have been better off to drive to Montreal!! LOL
Great place to visit too.
Pierre

You know Pierre, I believe you may be right!! ;D I was better off smuggling my fishies in my carry-on bag!! I never received imports like this that required so much rigga-marolling (sp?). Incredible. --Angie--

Fry Girl,
What Judi and I also did was to make arrangements with the USFW a week prior to arrival of a shipment. They will set up an appointment based upon arrival of shipment. This made a world of difference in the sake of time. Customs is basically a formality and paper sign off so Air Canada can release the fish to your custody. Our last shipment also required a USDA inspection which was resolved by our USFW officer who told Air Canada that it wasnt required. USDA has the full authority to also put the fish in QT and if that was going to happen, obviously the fish would not survive in their care. Luckily we had a great USFW officer who worked with us...Pays to be cordial for sure. I would think for the sake of time that a call to Air Canada (when it comes to deliverys from Oliver) prior to shipment to clarify USDA issues will save time.

Symphy: The cost of shipment can be effected if the services required,of USFW is after 5pm. They will charge you their overtime rate at 1 1/2 of their hourly wage to inspect. All other cost are normal for anytype of international shipments based upon value of item.

IMO shipments like these should be very smooth if you preplan by talking to the various agencys that will be involved prior to shipment and arrival.

HTH,
Tad

Hi Tad!! Thanks for good advice. But I like Pierre's better. ;D

I called USFW way before package date arrival. They didn't give me any problems. None at all. They were more understanding. It was the airline services. The unloading team didn't keep my package where it was supposed to be. But in any case glad the nightmare is over (not happy it took 9 hours to retrieve), but glad they're home with their family. ;D --Angie--

Hi, Lesley!! Pictures will be forthcoming. I have a lot to do at the moment in terms of juggling family life and worklife and me and fishies. ;D I finally invested in a smaller tank (75gallon); it's smaller than my ideal tank of 200-gallon (the dream tank). It will do for now. :thumbsup: I gather if you check into S.A. distributors of discus you may find someone who is willing to ship to you downunder. It's an idea. --Angie--

P.S. Just curious about those who ship larger quantity of stock do they have the same trouble. I hear they hire brokers (third party) to handle the headaches. I'm certainly not in that league to hire a chaperone. : ) --Angie--

Tad
02-22-2004, 06:21 PM
Angie,
I agree Pierre's method would be the ultimate if all possible ;D However, I do believe even if you pick up in a foreign country that crossing the border back into the USA with tropicals would also fall under the same guidelines as receipt through an International Airport. With all the mechanisms put into place under HomeLand Security and border access, it could potentially cause some problems for those crossing from Canada back to the USA with fish. Hopefully some who have purchased fish and crossed borders can give us more information on what they had to deal with.

regards,
Tad

April
02-22-2004, 09:12 PM
im sure it depends on the customs agent when crossing hte border but karin Swigart came up here to Vancouver and bought fish and took them across the border with no problem. they just waved them across when they said we have some fish we;re bringing back for our aquarium.
They had a sales receipt to show and best to have the scientific name on the receipt. I guess they could call in the agricultural guy if they wanted..but for a few fish im sure theyd wave you through. alot of people here drive to Point Roberts with tropical fish to mail in Usa with Fed-Ex. but a tiny border.and they dont bother them.

Nightowl
02-24-2004, 05:01 AM
A friend and I imported some fish a while back...we paid someone to do the paperwork. Don't know the specifics offhand, but it made it simple to get the fish....would not be cost effective on a small order. Good luck w/ your new fish!!! J.T.

Hi Lesley...

ping
02-24-2004, 05:08 AM
Pictures pictures ;D
Hello Angie,
Very nice discus, i hope that i can have them one day.
Have you got your new camera ?

Regards,
Ronny

jeep
02-24-2004, 09:47 AM
Angie you tease! Where are the pictures :)

02-24-2004, 12:45 PM
Angie you tease! Where are the pictures :)
;D ;D ;D
Just like the rest of them, you too, Brian, have to have patience. Hey, you fellas seem to have available all those digital cameras that make beautiful pictures on hand. I gotta rely on old "Betsy" to do the magic for me. ;D I don't want to rely on that cheap digi-cam that comes with the computer to do the job. Then you won't appreciate the real beauty of Oliver's fish, Ken's fish, Mike's fish, Nade's fish, and Petland Discount's fish. ;D I should have it all together by next week. **Angie**

Pictures pictures ;D
Hello Angie,
Very nice discus, i hope that i can have them one day.
Have you got your new camera?

Regards,
Ronny
Hi, Ronny: Sorry, no pixs yet! On it's way though. I'm using my old Kodak Advantix 35mm camera. This will be a true color image and no color enhancements at all. I plan to take a lot of pictures. I've started already. Camera film takes 40 exposures. So bear with me. I hope to finish production by week's end so I can download photos by early or mid-next week. ;)**Angie**

A friend and I imported some fish a while back...we paid someone to do the paperwork. Don't know the specifics offhand, but it made it simple to get the fish....would not be cost effective on a small order. Good luck w/ your new fish!!! J.T.
Hi Lesley...
Hi, JT (Nightowl): This is a lesson I've learned for sure. :) I was told about getting a broker to handle my purchase. But who has the additional funds to afford such? :( The purchase of the fish alone was AMAZING! But you would have to analyze the total costs and see what it is that I received. This is how I cope (and hypnotize myself) with it. You pay for what you get. I got quality, healthy stock of Wild Curiperas and I have a pair!!! ;) **Angie**

im sure it depends on the customs agent when crossing hte border but karin Swigart came up here to Vancouver and bought fish and took them across the border with no problem. they just waved them across when they said we have some fish we;re bringing back for our aquarium.
They had a sales receipt to show and best to have the scientific name on the receipt. I guess they could call in the agricultural guy if they wanted..but for a few fish im sure theyd wave you through. alot of people here drive to Point Roberts with tropical fish to mail in Usa with Fed-Ex. but a tiny border.and they dont bother them.

You know something, April, that will be my move if I ever head up north or south of America. I'm going to literally carry a handbag full of fish! ;D And in my pockets will be the receipts of purchase and a note from the seller stamped with approval of health certificate (this is just in case it is required). : ) No kidding. If I have to purchase a seat next to me for my fish handbag, so be it. 8) --Angie-- ;D

jeep
02-24-2004, 01:00 PM
I don't have a digital camera yet either >:( I've been spending all my money buying fish 8)