PDA

View Full Version : mix or match?

RyanH
02-22-2004, 01:54 PM
When planning your dream tank do you prefer to have a group of matching Discus or an assortment of strains? I have always been partial to look of having a group of beautifully matched Discus schooling together. I have a real appreciation for many different strains (even some of the PB-based strains have grown on me) but that is why one keeps many tanks, right? ;D

What is your opinion on this?

GoodMike
02-22-2004, 02:44 PM
well....my discus are coming today and im mixing some. thats what i like. Although...a school of all the same color would be cool too...maybe a later date ;)

02-22-2004, 05:36 PM
If it were a show tank in my living room, planted, definitely would want a mix. If it's for breeding or bare bottom I personally like to only keep the same strain in each tank so they can grow together and pair up.

tom.s
02-22-2004, 05:50 PM
mix for sure

Willie
02-22-2004, 08:07 PM
I've tried it both ways and matching discus definitely look better in a show tank. Of course, great looking fish would help.

My dream tank would be a 125 gal filled with F3/F4 RSGs.

Willie

iceskater
02-22-2004, 08:09 PM
I am enjoying having them mixed. In one tank, I have 5 adults, 2 BD, 1 pearl PB, 1PB, and a Red Rose. In other tank, I have quite an assortment of Juvie's Gold Diamond, Gold X Red Melon, VR, 2 blue panda's (niether of them resemble each other at all) 2 red-white's, showing only white color right now. Red-rose and last but not least the runt, BDx snake.

I love the variety.....

Karen

Carol_Roberts
02-22-2004, 10:46 PM
I think it's easier to have a tank of all the same from the same spawn to grow out together. There is less aggression and all have the same food requirements. There is always that one tank of mixed leftovers though ;D

Martinphillip03
02-22-2004, 11:25 PM
There are so many different types of discus, I would have to mix them. You have your reds, blues, yellows, golds, melons, leapords, snakeskin, leapord snakeskins, and so on. If I had one tank, I couldn't have one type. But then again I'm new. Maybe five tears from now I might think differently.

Marty

slicksta
02-23-2004, 12:00 AM
in a word.....MIX

April
02-23-2004, 12:35 AM
i think two complimenting colours looks good. they do seem to know their own strain. and if they have a choice of partners usually will go toward their colour strain. ive heard this alot.