PDA

View Full Version : Tank against mirrored wall- whaddaya think?

elpaninaro
02-22-2004, 08:14 PM
Good evening all,

I have had a GREAT day today. Went to Home Depot for some supplies- and an out of the way pet store for a few more things. This is all coming together and I am getting very excited.

One thing struck me today though when I was thinking about how to cover the bottom of the tank to prevent disorientation.

My initial spot for the tank did not work out. The outlet there is dead and the water hose from the sink was going to be weaving its way through a collection of old German porcelain. In other words- not a chance.

The current spot- and really where this needs to be at this point- is against a mirrored wall (yea its tacky, but I am renting so don't blame me lol.)

So, are the discus going to say "wow, this mirror makes the tank look twice as big! Let's invite that nice couple down the street for dinner!" Or are they going to have a serious image problem when they see themselves stuffing their faces 5 times a day?

Personally, I would rather not have to back the tank since I think that looks kinda weird, but I know where I can get black or blue backing if need be (but it ain't cheap which is why I ask if it is necessary.)

Thanks much!

Tom.

PS- I just want to take a moment to thank everyone for answering ALL of my questions so far. I blew $40 on books recently and even with my limited knowledge of cichlids coming into this I can see that was not money well spent. You guys really are a MAJOR lifeline here (and fun to boot!)

ASCOTT
02-22-2004, 09:47 PM
Hello there,
Andrew here, I'm somewhat new to this myself but I just read your post about the mirrored wall thing and I thought I could maybe help a bit.

I have a 10 discus in a 55 gal. w/mirrored back glass all of them range about 3.0 to 6.5 in. and they all seem to like it/get along just fine however, I have heard that it "could" make for more skittish behavior but I've done some experimenting of my own on this topic and have not found this to be true as of yet.

So give it a try and if it does not work for you then I guess you could use something to cover the back but let me know what you find out.

M0oN
02-22-2004, 09:47 PM
It may reflect too much light and make the discus in the tank somewhat timid or it could have the side effect of getting some vain discus that spend most of their time staring at the background of the tank instead of where you want em' to be!

Give it a try but if you notice odd behavior after a few weeks of introducing them to the tank I'd put a background on the tank...

Carol_Roberts
02-22-2004, 10:13 PM
Many people paint the sides and bottom of their tanks with light colored flexstone (looks like sand). I don't use paint or backgrounds right now. In any case, I think mirrors will be fine.

Now for the bottom of the tank. I use a piece of rigid styrofoam wrapped in thin, neutral colored material from the remnant bin. It adds insulation, allows the tank to even out minor irregularities and gives the fish something to look at. Dense, plush carpet remnants also work

elpaninaro
02-22-2004, 10:43 PM
Hi Moon and Ascott- thanks for the thoughts. I will not worry about it at present.

Carol- thanks to you too- I like your idea for the base covering, but one question. The remnant bin???? Do we share a love of fabric and quilting too?!

Take care,

Tom.

Carol_Roberts
02-22-2004, 10:53 PM
I'm not a quilter. I used to sew when the kids were young. I still love crochet - doilies and afghans mostly.

slicksta
02-23-2004, 12:45 AM
The back of my 155 is mirrored and the discus could care less...even the betta is indifferent......I do like it and I can see what is going on behind the driftwood.

John

liz
02-23-2004, 06:07 AM
I have a mirrored back on my African tank.Fish like it and it looks good.

yippy
02-23-2004, 04:21 PM
i had to do what carol said with a 4 foot i have my juvie goldens in - they got a bit skittish as the bottom was slightly mirrored

Hey carol, any chance of a quilt????? I love that quilting but cant sew a stitch ???

Kerry

M0oN
02-23-2004, 05:07 PM
Carol, I don't suppose you have a picture of the different layers that you use on the bottom of your tank? I think part of the reason my discus are slightly skittish is because of the reflected light from the bottom.

Where do you buy these at?

Thanks ;)
Jason

Carol_Roberts
02-23-2004, 05:15 PM
The solid foam is sold in sheets at places like Home Depot in the insulation section. Fabric from the fabric store. I'll look later and see if I have a picture

April
02-23-2004, 08:45 PM
Kerry.. get sewing!! you dont have to sew a stitch..you can ask the machine to do it. and..its too hot there for a quilt.
Carol also uses wrapping paper and so do i.
maybe the mirror might be good. they might think theres a large group of them and feel more secure. who knows..
let us know how it goes.

Wahter
02-23-2004, 09:26 PM
one of my tanks has a mirror for the back pane of glass - never had any trouble.

yippy
02-24-2004, 04:34 AM
Pril, aint got no sewing machine ??? Anyway Carol is making me a doily ;D

So wheres my toque Pril :P

Kerry

02-24-2004, 12:59 PM
Fish can get used to the mirror back. The only problem you may have is taking picture with a flash. I can never get good picture from a mirrow backing.
Jimmy.

slicksta
02-25-2004, 03:39 AM
Jimmy
if your camera has manual settings.....
bring the tank light up to the front, addmore light from above if you can and loose the flash and play with the shutter speed to get enough light in...

John