PDA

View Full Version : ClorAm-X?

GoodMike
02-25-2004, 09:56 AM
i was wondering what everyone thinks of ClorAm-X? I have been using stress coat for chlorines and chloramines, and its just too expenisive. Will clorAm-X do the same job? i know is a lot cheaper, so i would like to know how it would do for getting rid of chlorine and chloramines. THANKS :D

brewmaster15
02-25-2004, 12:25 PM
Hi Mike,
absolutely...
By The way check out this post..
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=12;action=display;threadid=14707;s tart=0#lastPost

One of our sponsor's sells it at a very Good price.

-al

GoodMike
02-25-2004, 06:43 PM
thanks, the thing is, i dont know how much chlorine is in my water, nor do i have the tests for this....so how much would i add?

bikhu
02-25-2004, 06:53 PM
Hi Mike,
I used ChlorAmX and found it worked great and WAY cheaper then strss coat. Plus it doesn't add stuff to the waters that you don't need or want. Discusgeo sells the stuff for a great price and great service. DO you have Chloramines in your water? I do not so I switched over to sodium thiopsulphate which is even cheaper. You can probably get the level of concentration from your local water department.
HTH
peter

limige
02-25-2004, 06:55 PM
stress coat is way too expensive for chlorine removal, chloram-x is way better! some ponds ones are good too but you have to be more careful when dealing with those, one of them causing bubbles on the surface of my water, chloram x is great though.

GoodMike
02-25-2004, 06:55 PM
i know i have chlorine, and im just assuming i have chloramines as well...ill check if my water company has a website. thanks

GoodMike
02-25-2004, 07:13 PM
ok, im looking at my water quality report now, the annual chlorine amount in my water is .54ppms. So how much clorAm-x would i need to use for that? (it doesnt talk about chloramines)

Discusgeo
02-25-2004, 08:16 PM
Goodmike you don't mention how many gallons of water you want to treat. You say you water report is the annual chlorine amount in my water is .54ppms. That amount is so low over a year I would go with what the manufacture recommends:
Dosage: use 1 teaspoon (~ 5 mL) per 10 gallon of water
You should try and get a good chlorine test kit. The best kind of kit is one, which will give two different, but related, measurements: (1) "free, available chlorine" and (2) "combined available chlorine".
:)
Chloramines are a disinfectant formed when chlorine is combined with ammonia. They are composed of three chemicals: monochloramine, dichloramine, and trichloramine. Monochloramine is preferred for water disinfection because of its biocidal properties and minimal taste and odor. In the disinfection process, chloramines react more slowly than chlorine, but stay active longer. Chloramines form much smaller concentrations of the disinfection byproduct THMs as compared with chlorine when mixed with organics in water. However, recent research identified trace amounts of other disinfection byproducts (such as n-nitrosodimethylamine) created by using chloramines. Research is being conducted to learn if these byproducts are harmful to humans in the concentrations that they occur in drinking water. The current state of scientific knowledge shows chloramine disinfection byproducts pose less health risk than chlorine disinfection byproducts or water that is not disinfected.

GoodMike
02-25-2004, 10:52 PM
Thanks, where would i be able to pick up a chlorine test kit, ive never seen one here.

Discusgeo
02-26-2004, 07:06 AM
Jungle Chlorine Test Strips
Fast, easy, and accurate results in 15 seconds. Does 25 tests. Measures free chlorine from 0 to 4.0 ppm and total chlorine (chloramine) from 0 to 6.0 ppm

GoodMike
02-26-2004, 10:01 AM
THANKS