PDA

View Full Version : Question from a newbie

Bou
02-25-2004, 05:13 PM
Hello everybody,

My name is Bou, I'm from Montreal, Canada and I'm new to this forum. I've been browsing for a while and I decided to jump into the discus-sion! :)

Well, I have a little question for you experts... when buying discus, how do we know if they are, say, grade AAA or AA? For instance, I have a female discus, I think she's nice and round compare to the other ones I have, but how do I know she's a higher "quality" discus?

Not that it really matters to me, because these fishes are just superb regardless of their quality, but then again, I might not have the "eyes" of a conaisseurs! :(

Thanks for your replys!
Bou

Bou
02-25-2004, 05:25 PM
Well, I attached a picture of my discus with my previous message, but I can't see it on the board?

April
02-25-2004, 11:11 PM
i dont see your pic either. did you do it the same as an email attachment? go to attach..click browse..double click your pic files..and click post. should work if not too big.
try again. love to see.
welcome to Simply.:wave: great to have another canuck. :thumbsup:
there really is only A grade and B grade or culls. breeders just add AAA etc to sell. its either A grade or not. Besides ..if you are happy with your fish that really is all that counts.

Bou
02-25-2004, 11:36 PM
Hi April,

well I did attach that picture to my last message... hold on, I'll try doing it again! As for my fish, I think you're right, I just LOOVE her, so it doesn't matter what "grade" she is... although, I think she's the best discus I ever had, shape and size wise...

Tell me what you think of her, k?
Cheers,
Bou

April
02-25-2004, 11:40 PM
your picture worked. how old is your fish? she looks like she has wild in her??? I think she looks great. Looks like she will get more striations as time goes on.
how many discus do you have and tanks etc?

Bou
02-25-2004, 11:47 PM
Hi April,

Wow that was a fast reply! :)
Well I have only a pair left... the picture I sent you is the female... until today, I didn't know what kind of strain she was. I wrote to Jeff from Discus.us and he told me she could be a Red Turqs. I seriously don't know what "strain" she is, but I just think she's pretty!

As for how many discus I have, well I used to have 8, but I gave two away and the rest I sold for lack of space. Though recently I purchased a 150 gal. tank so I am looking forward to pruchasing new discus. I got in touch with Jeff and ordered a few yesterday. It will be the first time I purchase discus off the internet... I'm excited!

Apart from that 150 gal tank, I have a 55 gal and a 35 gal. Both the 55 and 35 are empty for now, but that's about to change... I hope so.

I was able to breed discus twice, my first pair "ate" their fry... and the second pair, which includes the RT in the picture, the male (a blue discus... again I don't know the strain) kept eating the eggs after the female would lay them... quite frustrating!

So that's it for now April!
I'll try to take a picture of the male and I'll send post it.

See you around,
Bou

April
02-25-2004, 11:59 PM
well glad to hear your getting new fish from Jeff.
well alot of fish eat till they learn. takes quite a few tries sometimes.

Bou
02-25-2004, 11:59 PM
Here's the picture of the male!
I know it's not so clear, but it's the best I could do... he would not stop moving!!!! ???