PDA

View Full Version : And you thought the algea in your tanks was bad...

Wahter
02-25-2004, 06:02 PM
check out what's happening to the polar bears in Singapore's zoo!

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/02/25/singapore.green.bears.ap/index.html

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040224/capt.sin80102241222.singapore_green_bears_sin801.j pg

April
02-25-2004, 11:16 PM
Hmmm. Sly...get over there with your algae remover or somethin..and fix those bears!!! in my limited experience..and common knowledge...that thar bear is green from chlorine in the water.
same thing happens to blondes who do alot of swimming in swimming pools. theres a special shampoo for blonde hair and swimmers to remove the green tint.
pass on the shampoo and the info to the zoo for me Sly...and send me my royalties. ::) we cant have green bears hangin round Singapore.. or..send them back to the North Pole where they came from???

Wahter
02-26-2004, 12:33 AM
in my limited experience..and common knowledge...that thar bear is green from chlorine in the water.

Article says it's really algea! They are being bleached with hydrogen perioxide though and it seems to work.

April
02-26-2004, 01:33 AM
ok so the algae is growin on their hair i guess? interesting..too much sun perhaps?? maybe they need to cut the sunlight..thats what the hair dressers use to make bleached blondes also...is peroxide.. stronger strength though than regular peroxide

Wahter
02-26-2004, 03:07 PM
ok so the algae is growin on their hair i guess? interesting..too much sun perhaps?? maybe they need to cut the sunlight..thats what the hair dressers use to make bleached blondes also...is peroxide.. stronger strength though than regular peroxide

April...... read the article...... you are compelled to read the article.... you cannot resist.... ;D

It says:

The usually white coats of Sheba and her 13-year-old son, Inuka, turned green a few weeks ago from algae growing in their hollow hair shafts, said Vincent Tan, a spokesman for the zoo.

"The harmless algae is the result of Singapore's warm and humid tropical conditions," Tan said.

Polar bears have clear hair shafts that appear white because they reflect light.

Sheba's coat was successfully bleached with hydrogen peroxide 2.5 weeks ago and Inuka will be given a similar treatment in three weeks, Tan said.

Steve_Warner
02-28-2004, 05:45 AM
Hi all,
Damn Phosphates! :o Those poor bears have no chance of Camoflage on the white tundras with that mess goin on ;D lol

Steve