PDA

View Full Version : Thermometer

Shive
02-25-2004, 10:58 PM
I have three thermometers and they all say something different even though ther in the same tank and location! They are the kind you hang in the tank and use red mercury. This is perplexing to me what's the best type of thermometer to use.

Thanks
Mike

Amadhunter
02-25-2004, 11:07 PM
I like the stick ons, wal mart. Easy to read, and pretty accurate. Cheap too.

Abercrombie6202
02-25-2004, 11:28 PM
I prefer the electronic thermeters, but there expensive, and i can't afford them, so i use the ones that you stick inside the aquarium. Are they in the same area, becasue depending where the heater is, the temperature can be different in certain areas!

M0oN
02-26-2004, 03:28 AM
Nothing beats digital thermometers, I believe you can get one with a probe for the tank that reads both tank temperature, room temperature and tells time for somthing like 20 bucks...

Do some snooping around at Drsfostersmith.com

Note that the stick on thermometers don't give accurate readings on acrylic tanks...

susankay1
02-26-2004, 05:52 AM
Sorry to disagree but I have an infra red thermometer that I bought at Radio Shack for about 50.00. You point it at the water surface and push the button, and see the temp. I use it in several tanks and never have to worry about cross contamination, as it never comes into contact with the water. JMO

ping
02-26-2004, 06:20 AM
Hi Mike,

Check this out. Randal has digital measurement, ph, temp, tds, and conductivity for sale. You can get a combination one depending what you need :)
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=12;action=display;threadid=8099;st art=0

HTH,
Ronny

slicksta
02-26-2004, 10:58 AM
I can tell you if you have 10 thermometers of 5 different types you will get 10 different readings.....
In my opinion the plastic stick-on ones are best.
Red alcohol can be accurate but the quality of how they are put together is usually crap
Digital are nice but expensive
and the infrared point and read I feel do not work that well when pointed at water and glass....not there intended use.

JMHO ;D

John

jklnbrg
02-26-2004, 02:51 PM
Nothing beats digital thermometers, I believe you can get one with a probe for the tank that reads both tank temperature, room temperature and tells time for somthing like 20 bucks...

Note that the stick on thermometers don't give accurate readings on acrylic tanks...

$9.99 at Walmart for the same functionality.

M0oN
02-26-2004, 02:57 PM

$9.99 at Walmart for the same functionality.

Works for me, I don't use thermometers, just do things by touch and how my fish react...so there ya go :)

jklnbrg
02-26-2004, 04:58 PM
Works for me, I don't use thermometers, just do things by touch and how my fish react...so there ya go :)

And you can tell if the water is at a specific temp? (not a relative temp compared to other tanks). Very impressive.
Otherwise you need to know the temp for specific purposes (medication, growouts, breeding). All may require different specific temps.

John

M0oN
02-26-2004, 05:50 PM

And you can tell if the water is at a specific temp? (not a relative temp compared to other tanks). Very impressive.
Otherwise you need to know the temp for specific purposes (medication, growouts, breeding). All may require different specific temps.

John

Well, I check them from time to time with a handheld, but in general I've never had problems with heat fluctuations and I'm constantly watching my fish, like 24/7 so I'd notice pretty much right away if somthing was wrong.

When it comes to medicating I do use a floating mercury thermometer, though.

Shive
02-26-2004, 10:59 PM
Radio Shacks got their Infrared Therms on sale for 29.99 ! If I can find an RS that has one in stock I think I'll get it! Thanks for all the help!

Shive

susankay1
02-27-2004, 12:02 AM
I love it, think I'll run down to mine and get me a back up. Thanks...Susan