PDA

View Full Version : What to do now

trace_russ
02-26-2004, 05:50 PM
Hi guys and Gals,

Ok you all know I'm having my pair eat their free swimmers well.... After numerous tries and dissapointments today I see that there are 3 fry left out of the brood swimming around :D. They would be about 4 day old swimmers now.

The parents seem quite happy with them being there but they have a real problem with them attatching and tend to pick them up and put them back on the cone. The fry seem quite happy at doing this but every so often they swim to mum and dad try to attach and off to the pot mum or dad take them.

Are they swimming to mum and dad getting a feed and with going back on the pot they are ok ???

What happens if she layes again on the pot do I then remove the fry and start raising manually cuz I fear they will be eaten ???

I know Carol has had a brood of 2 that the parents raised and I would be quite happy with the 3 they have, but as I said I fear they will eat them the minute eggs are layed again and they are due to lay again today if they follow the normal routine that they have been doing.

Please advise me.

Trace :)

Carol_Roberts
02-27-2004, 12:44 AM
IF they lay eggs again they may well eat the fry. ARe you home all day to feed fry?

trace_russ
02-27-2004, 01:06 AM
Hi Carol,

Most days I am home to feed the fry or if not me Russell is so the feed factor is not really a problem.

Carol_Roberts
02-27-2004, 01:00 PM
Get the baby brine shrimp hatching now. If you can get them eating bbs move the fry to their own 10 gallon. Be careful to keep pH and temp the same. Do several small water changes per day to keep ammonia at zero

trace_russ
02-27-2004, 05:46 PM
Hi Carol,

I would presume that the water to take the bubs out into should be the tank water that they are in now. Then start the new w/c tomorrow.

I have the BBS hatching now and have been sup feeding with it for the last 24 hours and all seems well.

The parents are starting to get ready to lay again as I type and will go and get the bubs out now. Hopefully I can get these little ones to grow to healthy juvies and on to beautiful adults (cuz I wont get rid of them 1st bubs and all lol).

Trace :D

Carol_Roberts
02-27-2004, 07:37 PM
Yes, take them with water from the current tank. Good luck ;D

trace_russ
02-27-2004, 10:13 PM
Thanks Carol,

I have tried to remove fry but mum and dad ate 2 and now I have one, oh well better than none.

Placed into 5g tank with water out of the breeding tank, feeding egg layer formula and BBS with just bb, heater and simple sponge out of breeding tank. Is this alright????

Will keep you informed as to how I go raising this little one.

Thanks again Carol

Trace :D

trace_russ
02-29-2004, 09:03 PM
Hi there,

Well as I suspected they have layed again and the eggs are due to hatch in the next 12 hours, still lovenly looking after the eggs again. Wonder if this time they get it right.

The solo bubs from last spawn died this morning oh well I tried.

Should I seperate this time as soon as they hatch or leave them again to see if they dont eat the fry again, and give them one more chance.

Carol_Roberts
03-01-2004, 01:45 AM
Divider?

trace_russ
03-01-2004, 01:59 AM
Hi Carol,

This may seem like a stupid question but what am I dividing ??? parents/parent or the fry???

Trace

Carol_Roberts
03-01-2004, 02:23 AM
Male on one side female on the other - so they can't spawn again. Pull breeding cone out of tank. fry can go back and forth

trace_russ
03-01-2004, 03:47 AM
Okay thanks Carol I will try that and see how it goes.