PDA

View Full Version : I may need YOU!

Jean
02-26-2004, 10:12 PM
Are YOU the one????

I am interested in knowing if any of you have a tankless water heater!!! I am very close to purchasing one as my water demands have gone up and will more so I suspect (not mentioning any names here ::))

I am looking I think for a gas one vs an electric. But I would like input regarding experience with them. Output and anything else to shed some experience with these creatures!

So don't be shy lemme hear what cha got!

Jean ;D 8)

bikhu
02-26-2004, 10:29 PM
HI Jean,
I believe that RandalB recently purchased one and posted pictures of it... try to IM him he is one of the moderators here.
HTH
peter

Jean
02-26-2004, 10:33 PM
Thanks Peter, I thought so too! I am looking for him on IM! ;)
I recalled hearing and reading about it here. I was wondering also if anyone else took the plunge. He seemed happy with it from what I recall.

Jean ;D 8)

RandalB
02-27-2004, 01:48 AM
Oooh! It's so nice to be wanted ::)

I didn't get the call or IM Jeanie Bo Weenie, but here's the link:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=15450;st art=msg159888#msg159888

It came from www.energyinnovations.net

Love it, Great product...

RandalB

jeep
02-27-2004, 02:05 AM
Hi JBB ;D ,

I've been looking at tankless water heaters for quite some time now. The efficiency alone is very attractive.

There are several big names out there that all promise similar features. The main thing you want to watch out for are the overall size of the unit, the gallons per minute at a specific rise in temp. and the manufacturer.

Do you want electric? If so, you are SOL in case of a power outage. Do you want gas? If so, then you may want to look at the optional battery powered pilot light. If you want total efficiency, go for the unit that is powered on demand, meaning there is not "standing pilot light". The electric pilot is the way to go, especially the battery powered unit in case of a power outage.

In the US, due to environmental water restrictions, most shower heads are restricted to around 2.5gmp. Some of the tankless water heaters I've researched claim they will povide up to 3.2gpm at a given "rise" in water temp. It's your guess as to what you really need for your climate.

Check on-line sources. You can save a bundle above and beyond HD or Lowes, but either way, installation is up to you. If you go with a local company you'll spend big bucks on the unit plus installation...

:)

Jean
02-28-2004, 01:59 AM
Thanks Jeep and the 'wanted' Randal!!!!

I am currently looking at a gas unit that doesn't require venting. Since this is only for the feeeeeeesh, I am not as concerned with a ton of volume in very short time.

I am lookin..... left right up and down!

I am amazed actually, no one else has one!!!

Takin the plunge soon.... will let ya know!
Jean

;D 8)

RandalB
02-28-2004, 02:08 AM
You're driving me nuts Jean.. (I'm sure you've heard that from tons of people...)

Why would you spend that kind of money "Just for the Feeesh"? You're gonna have to have a plumber install it anyway if you want a warranty on it, so why not do it right?

Spend the $$ replace the existing Tank for crying out loud. It will pay for itself. My Gas bill is down $40 from last year at this time.

RandalB <-- Getting a nice cold bucket of RO water ready to dump on Jean

Jean
02-29-2004, 03:22 AM
LOL.. Randal.. Yeah yeah yeah, Iknow I drive ya nuts! :)

How many ppl in that house 'o' yours? I got 6 here. I am a multitasker.. I have a clothes washer goin and a dishwasher and there is always someone in a shower... soooooooooo I am nuts???????? I dunno maybe, but I just don't think it is gonna keep up.

Plumber? Who pays for them? Not me!!! When hooked up to a tradesmen it comes baby! ;D

I got a dinky umbrella for da dunk!http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/grinser/grinning-smiley-027.gif Jeaner

Jean
03-07-2004, 02:16 PM
;D REady for ya now... I got the unit in and it is up as of yesterday...

pics of my simplistic fish watta warmer

plumbed to go to barrels or into the tanks...

henryD
03-07-2004, 08:14 PM
I am so extremely jealous.....WOW> That is what I want. No more cold showers.

Is that the gas one?

susankay1
03-07-2004, 08:28 PM
Let us know if it keeps up!!! I really want to get rid of that ancient water heater too. Don't have nearly as much going on in our house as you do so Im sure if it will work for you, it should work for us.

Jason
03-07-2004, 09:51 PM
mine could'nt keep up, back too the store >:(

Jean
03-07-2004, 09:56 PM
;D Yeah I am playing with it today! ;D

Not alot to play with, like I don't have the fancy gadget Randal has on his... not that I don't like techy stuff, but this is a two knobber jobby.. easy! Just tweakin it to get it right...

Yeah Henry, it is gas and ventless.. nice no holes in the house required for this one. Oh-- I had the choice of propane or natural gas.. this is a natural gas one.

Susankay - this is not for the whole house. My water heater so far is good to continue on at present. Additionally I wanted the water to the fish to come off pre softener. Now if I did this for my whole house I would add one on but it would be post water softener as is a traditional water heater.

So you know the way I was doing it...
it was utilizing warm waste RO for growouts.. but I have too many tanks now. So I would pull of the water pre softener (meaning pre water heater too) fill barrels and heat with aquarium heaters... well 55 gal takes a bit to heat as you know especially in WI in the winter coming out of a well! :o So I found my self having to wait.... I am not big on waiting ;) So I opted for this to solve some of that time issue for me.

Please feel free to ask away.. I have more pics of it going to the barrels and some explaination on daah etc http://daah.info/forum/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=5071

I know ppl would like to ask but don't want to.. so I will just say, I paid $335 for this unit with shipping to my home.

Jean ;D 8)

LEM504
03-07-2004, 10:08 PM
Tanks less heater,

Will the controler that came with / or was added, to the heater work at tank temperature, or are you mixing the hot water with cold??

If it kicks the water out too hot, would a room thermostat, work to get 85 degree straight out of the heater???

Sure would make it easy, with one pipe in and one out.

Larry

Jean
03-08-2004, 01:08 AM
Hmm Larry..
I don't have that $110 controller thing that Randal has.. I can adjust the gas intensity and the 'thermostat' but that thermostat does not have temps on per se. So I need some time to play with it more... not enough time today to get it to an art form.. gimme more time!

Jean ;D 8)

Jean
03-12-2004, 10:28 PM
;D K I'm back again!

This unit has helped the water to keep comin for changes. I find I am using my aquarium heaters much much much less in the barrels.

Here is the only con that I have. For safety reasons, the system has an auto off with the heat after 15-20 minutes. I just have to turn the handle to turn the water off and then back on and it fires up again. So it is not like alot of effort but would like it better if that were not nec.

Safety first tho!

Jean ;D 8)

RandalB
03-12-2004, 11:54 PM
Sigh...

The vented ones don't shut off after 15 minutes...

RandalB

Jean
03-14-2004, 03:01 AM
;D How did I know that? ::)

Oh Randal it is ok, really it is!

Jean ;D 8)

RandalB
03-14-2004, 03:59 AM
;D How did I know that? ::)

Well sweetie, ya coulda called me. I know you've got the number.

RandalB