PDA

View Full Version : Are these guys pairing up?

engiskhan
02-28-2004, 12:57 AM
Hi,

I got some fish from Jeff and I'm hoping to grow these guys out BIG. However, I may be reading into it wrong, but it seems like two of my leopards are pairing up. I got these guys a week ago from Jeff. I have 2 passions, 2 blue diamonds, 2 pearl pigeons and 2 leopards in a barebottom 55. The blue diamonds are around 4.5-5", the pigeons are smaller guys, maybe 3 to 4 inches, the passions around 4-4.5 and the leopards around the 4.5" range. these measurements are guesstimates and include the tailfin.

The larger leopard appears to be the alpha in the tank. He (she?) will chase anyone away from a pile of food, and everyone else fights amongst themselves. He will not chase the other leopard though and never nips at her(?). They hang out alot together and I saw them rubbing their bodies together last night. They also were posing for each other and flexing their pectoral fins straight out. I haven't seen them clearing any areas off for eggs.

I'd like to grow these leopards out and I'm wondering if I keep them together if they'll pair up and stop growing.

M0oN
02-28-2004, 01:35 AM
are they "bowing" to eachother? Lowering their heads and brushing bodies?

I've got somewhat of the same setup, two red turq, two mosaic, two blue diamond, a wild green and a red spotted green. I see aggression between all of them, except towards the wild green and between the two red turq's.

I recently started adding RO water to the tank and have seen a lot more pairing behavior out of all of the discus, they interact with one another quite a bit more, rather then just floating around waiting for food.

It's my understanding that even after young discus pair it can take 10 spawns if not more before they start to actually rear their spawns. I wouldn't think that it has an effect on their growth?