PDA

View Full Version : discus died-how do you see this coming

02-29-2004, 12:17 AM
I lost my second discus since I started this hobby today. Just would like to know how you see these things coming. I do everything by the rules. Daily water changes, multiple feedings, ect. This fish was fine, had it for more than 2 months and had no problems. For about the last week I noticed he wasn't eating but I figured he was eating when I wasn't paying attention or it would pass. I woke up this morning and he was floating around updside down and standing on his head. Had it diagnosed as bladder infection and started treating with epsom salt and 88 degree water. Died tonight. Lost one about a month ago in a similar fashion. Iv'e spent a lot of money from a reputable dealer on my fish in order to get breeding stock and since I follow all the rules I'm very discoureged to lose any. Do these fish die suddenly like this fairly often or what. What can I do to prevent this or see it coming?

02-29-2004, 12:52 AM
Hi 1977,

You have my condolences on your loss (of discus)!! That is really sad. It happens to the best caregiver. All we can do is learn from one's experiences and try to either replicate the problem to do further studies, or to avoid the err.

Don't give up trying to care for these special fish. Keep on going. And learn from the past. Perhaps you can try another way to make things at least half-way right. --Angie--

ValorG
02-29-2004, 01:27 AM
well if i read right, ur first discus were a breeding pair? If so then that was a bad idea. u should of gotten cheaper juveniles to get some experience first then if u succeeded in that, then u should try breeding.

fcdiscus
02-29-2004, 01:57 AM
Keep in mind, a Healthy Discus, especially not a new one or one that is shy- will love to eat like a pig- not when you are not watching. They cannot speak, and it is your job to watch them and see if anything is wrong. Frank

M0oN
02-29-2004, 02:50 AM
I've seen discus with various eating habits, some prefer tow atch the food drift to the bottom of the tank then peck away at it, others go for it before it can even hit the water level...either way they should be readily eating in front of you and actively exploring the tank during daytime hours...

Sounds like you had a sick fish :(

DiscusinDaytona
03-01-2004, 01:41 PM
Did you test the water to see if anything going on in there? IME there's usually something wrong with the water when they stop eating or become ill. Are there other fish in that tank?

Tina :'(

Larry Grenier
03-01-2004, 02:45 PM
Define "reputable dealer".......

What are you feeding your fish?

lkleung007
03-01-2004, 04:43 PM
Hi 1977,

Sorry to hear about your loss. :'(

I have also recently lost an Adult discus to the same "illness". The Discus seems just fine one day...then the next day stops eating...shortly there after abdomen swells and they seem to die within a day or two. Not sure what the problem is but it is somewhat discouraging.

Regards, Lester