PDA

View Full Version : Irregular Bars

LEM504
02-29-2004, 01:00 PM
With all of the in-breeding, and crossing, I see more Discus with irregular bars.
One of the bars may go into a “Y”, or you will see one with bars that are not parallel.
Are they considered culls, or does anyone care? Of course you have the strains that don’t show bars, when they have reached full color.
I bothers me to see it. Just wondering about the experts opinions. Think I could live with it, if the fish was outstanding in other respects. :-\

Larry

JPW
02-29-2004, 01:36 PM
Larry,
I agree with you on the issue of in-breeding of domestics strains.

Would this also apply to "wild" caught discus with "Y" bars or bars that are not parallel, as being a measure of in-breeding in the wild?

I have been working at getting discus in from different sources to prevent the issue of in-breeding within a specific strain.
IMO this is important.

I have been working on genetics lines in another of my interests for 10 years - in this case the female carries the dominate gene.

So what is the definition of a cull ?

or does this apply to grading of discus?
as I would apply it to your question prehaps.

I.E. standard grade? "usually" cheaper priced discus.
"A" Grade Discus?
I dunno?

But I think you have a great posting, and look forward to reading what the experts have to say.

Jim

Carol_Roberts
02-29-2004, 07:30 PM
I prefer straight vertical bars, but I don't think discus are judged on their bars at fish shows.

LEM504
03-01-2004, 01:41 AM
Gee, it would appear that I have egg on my shirt!
Just proves that when you assume, you make an a$$ of yourself.
It never occurred to me, that nature created the irregular bars.
Also proves that nothing is perfect - but you have to admit -
The breeders are sure gettin’ close!
Today’s Discus are beyond the wildest dreams of only a few years ago! ;D ;D

Larry

korbi_doc
03-01-2004, 10:28 AM
:bounce2: :bounce2:
The breeders are sure gettin’ close!
Today’s Discus are beyond the wildest dreams of only a few years ago! ;D ;D

Yes, they certainly are!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dottie ;D

fishfarm
03-01-2004, 11:01 AM
Straight even bars are a personal preference of people! Few wild discus have all their bars even and straight. It camo from predators! I do not consider it at all when I cull. Stress bars don't really show on an adult discus in full color so don't really matter to me. Ken

Fishin dude
03-01-2004, 11:40 AM
I took this shot of my Red Tucurui under floresent light at slow shutter speed. It has a broken bar and they are irregular, tapering as you go north. :fish: