PDA

View Full Version : Fishless cycling

Milleruszk
02-29-2004, 02:26 PM
Hi all,

I am just getting started in setting up a Discus tank. I filled up a 75 gallon yesterday with tap water. My PH out of the tap is about 7.4-7.6.
I am going to try to cycle the tank without fish using ammonia. I do not have another tank setup that I can use to innoculate this this tank with bacteria. Is there any common household thing I can use to get the "good" bacteria I need? I do not have access to another tank. I hope to have this tank cycled within 2-3 weeks so I can go on a Discus buying spree! LOL. Thanks for the help.

Tom

beebubbug
02-29-2004, 05:47 PM
TRY SOME BIO-SPIRA YOU CAN FIND AT LFS ,I USED IT BEFORE AND HAD GOOD LUCK WITH IT IT CAN CYCLE A TANK IN 24 HRS.MAKE SURE YOUR WALLET IS HEAVY ITS NOT CHEAP!GOOD LUCK

Carol_Roberts
02-29-2004, 07:39 PM
The "good" bacteria is floating in the air. A plant from a fish store may speed the process - make sure it doesn't come with snails or other hitchhikers.

Don't be disappointed if it takes 4 - 6 weeks to cycle your tank - that's how long it takes with dither fish too.

ronrca
03-01-2004, 10:58 AM
While there may be various methods of 'seeding' a new tank with bacteria, the various methods do vary in 'bacteria count' and choosing the one with the best or highest count will ensure a speedier cycle. While plants, gravel and decor from existing tanks do aid in bacteria growth, the best method of seeding is using established media or as previously mentioned, biospira. You may be able to borrow/buy as Carol mentioned plants, decor, gravel and filter media from your lfs in their existing tanks. While this may speed up the cycling process, you must be aware of the protential of introducing potential disease. Imo, the best is allowing the tank to cycling without adding from an existing tank or using biospira.

HTH ;)

Tom Fowler
03-02-2004, 04:29 AM
Yes this is a good way to cycle a tank ,but make sure the ammonia is pure .This way you add no parasites or unwanted bacteria to the tank,I have used this method many times and it works good and as beth said the good bacteria is all around us ...........Tom F

Milleruszk
03-14-2004, 05:43 PM
Hi gang,

It has been 15 days since I filled up the 75. I have added Cycle as a biological agent. I had originally boosted the ammonia level up to 2.0ppm to 3.0ppm on my ammonia chart. The nitrites were at zero. I tested the water today and now my ammonia is at 0.5ppm to 1.0 ppm. My nitrite is now at 5.0 ppm. So I think I am at the point of almost having the tank cycled? I have added some more ammonia. What should I do next? What do I do about the nitrite spike? Will the nitrite go down on its own? Thanks for your help.

Tom

Carol_Roberts
03-14-2004, 08:39 PM
The nitrIte will go down on it's own (just like the ammonia did) as the nitrIte eating bacteria colonize your filter. Then the nitrAte will start to rise. You are not almost done until you show nitrAte and nitrIte is dropping.

Milleruszk
03-14-2004, 09:05 PM
Thanks Carol, I will keep an eye on the nitrite. How low should I let the ammonia level go down before I add more?? Thanks.

Carol_Roberts
03-14-2004, 11:32 PM
Check it every other day add a capful or so if it goes to zero

justathome
03-19-2004, 11:18 AM
This will also help you along..
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=10;action=display;threadid=5807