PDA

View Full Version : I finally did it!!!

Amadhunter
03-01-2004, 09:50 PM
I've been in contact with RandalB, and have now purchased an RO unit. He is a terrific help!
I have read that some folks mix RO and tap, others use straight RO and add something to replentish the minerals. Can someone give me the pros and cons of the different methods?
I have also heard, from Randal most recently, that RO dosen't affect the ph. If using the tap/RO system, will my water still be the same ph as plain tap? If I go the other way, RO/additives, what happens to ph?
What if using RO, and I want to adjust my ph? What to do then?

kzoocritter
03-02-2004, 01:03 AM
Good choice on getting a r/o and whom you got it from :)
Randal is the man and has treated me very well over our last few transactions.
As far as what to use to get the tds where you want it depends on what your going to do with it.
Are you using it to breed?
Are you raising juveniles/and or fry?
Will it just be used for community tanks?
Answer those questions and I or someone should be able to make a few suggestions on whether to add elements or to use tapwater mix.
Also whats your tap water like? PH TDS after 24 hours of aging?

Myself, I use homemade r/o right mixed with straight r/o because my tapwater here is not good whatsoever on all of my fish. I just add more or less depending on which tank it will be used for.

Chuck

Keystonediscus
03-05-2004, 04:22 PM
RO dosen't affect the ph. If using the tap/RO system, will my water still be the same ph as plain tap? If I go the other way, RO/additives, what happens to ph?
What if using RO, and I want to adjust my ph? What to do then?

Randal is the MAN 8) Interesting I have used Ro for some time now and I would have to dissagree that it does effect PH. RO will however give you an inacurate PH reading if its not stabilized or reconstituted with buffering capacity. My tap is 7.0 My RO comes out at 6.0 and after 24 hrs drops to about 5.5 if its not reconstituted. Check out http://www.keystonediscus.com/caresheets.htm#ro
for a recipe for Ro reconstitution.
you will need to Experiment with your water to see what works best for you a mixture of tap and RO may work well for you also. Instead of the chemicals. this will add some buffer capacity but still keep the water soft. by increasing or decreasing the ratio of tap to RO you should be able to get a PH that falls where you desire it to. If this doesnt work reconstitute using the recipe above and then add seachems Acid buffer to get the ph levels down. this stuff works great and will allow you to drop PH to nearly anything you want.