PDA

View Full Version : pure strains not as tough?

03-02-2004, 11:16 PM
Just wondering if pure strains of discus are not as tough as your average mutt you buy at the lfs? When I first started with discus I just had some regular discus from lfs and never had a problems. I did one water change a week and fed 2 or 3 times a day and that was that. Now I always seem to have something wrong with my discus and I do everything I'm supposed to, go figure

discuscartel
03-02-2004, 11:43 PM

I know and just when you think you know it all BAMM something gives.

It can cost alot of time, money and frustration to raise discus successfully. you need to learn what works for you and then stick with it. there are many ways to skin a cat and the common convention isn't always the path to success.

john

M0oN
03-03-2004, 03:30 AM
I reckon it's not so much of what strain the discus is as it is finding somone who knows how to keep them healthy...most LFS can't dedicate the time to keeping their discus hex free...

brewmaster15
03-03-2004, 08:26 AM
Hi 1977,

Just wondering if pure strains of discus are not as tough as your average mutt you buy at the lfs? absolutely not true. :) Most discus you buy at a LFS are either purchased by the shop at wholesalers or from local hobbyist breeders. When they are purchased from the wholesalers these are usually grade B fish imported for resale in the LFS market. These fish are diffinetly not stronger than the Grade A fish that are their siblings. If anything they are a weaker less desireable fish. The other way the LFS gets their stock.. from breeders and hobbysits.. when this is the case, the fish are usually not grade A again, but are the grade B stock...this is the case because of financial considerations... LFS need inexpensive fish to resell ...thus creating the market we have today...

SO why do I feel the these substandard domestics are weaker.. often runted fish are sold..These fish are weaker due to their runting...or in many cases their immune systems are weakened from excessive hormones used to make a grade B fish shine so bright novices think its grade A . These fish are also often kept in central systems , with inappriate water conditions and food...setting them up to be sick fish.

The pure bred are much better healthier..IF acquired from reputable sellers, and if the stock was bred and maintained by a concientious breeder that out crossed to other quality fish to either maintain that strain as a viable stock or to cross other stock to it to add back strong genes .

Last note... Though the question was on Pure Breds.. The question still needs to be asked and answered ...what do you mean by Pure breds... Pure strains? and if so ...whats that?!:)

-al

As a side note I think crosses between good stock that are different strains are equal to pure strains or in cases where one when of the parents is highly inbred... better than their pure bred parents in terms of toughness.

LFS dislaimer... These comments I have made regarding LFS Discus are not meant to indicate that all LFS operate as such. If you know or work at one that is different, thats great! :)

JMO's