PDA

View Full Version : Advice of Tank Setup

JoeFromDC
03-07-2004, 03:05 PM
After years of keeping goldfish and other tropical fish, I am finally ready to take the discus plunge! ;D I have a few different options of tanks to use and wanted to get some thoughts on what would be best way to start out.

I currently have a 29 gal. that is empty and a 54 bowfront (bare bottom) that has 6 med. angelfish, 6 med. silver dollars and 7 cories. I've had all of these fish for at least 6 months (so there are no quarantine issues). Finally, I will be getting a 180 gal.! (That's the good news. The bad news is that it is replacing the 180 that I had for a few months which cracked along th bottom when I was on vacation and flooded my downstairs and killed all of my goldfish that I had had for years. :()

ANYWAY, originally I was planning on moving all of my current fish that are now in the 54 into the 180 (since that tank will be too small for them when they get bigger). Then, I thought I could put some small discus in the 54 after a road trip to Gwynnbrook Farm. ;) Does that make sense or should I get fewer larger ones or should I put them in the 180 with all or some of the other fish? I know most people say discus shouldn't be mixed with angels and I assume also not silverdollars due to their speed and appetites.

Then, what would be the best number of discus to get? Assuming I go with a discus-only 54, at some point I might move them over to the 180, but I wouldn't want to feel like I HAD to (especially if they couldn't be mixed with the other fish)...

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions!

Scrappi_tt
03-07-2004, 03:29 PM
Well, I guess you know all about the water changesetc.

Don't mix your discus with other fish until the're fully grown.

The best number of discus to start off with is at least 6 of em. This way they fell more comfortable. If you intend of buying the discus as babies, don't put them in the large tank because if you have need for treatment, you don't have to treat and entire 180 gallon tank.. Keep em in the 54 till they grow to a descent size. You can get some larger ones instead of the babies.. But, as a beginner, it is always better to get them small so that you can learn more about them small in case you are fortunate enough to one day get them to spawn.

Don't mix them with the other fish till they reach adult size.
Discus live comfortably with neon tetra's and cardinal tetra's.. this is because they can become stressed very easily. So the slower moving, and the smaller fish are the best bet to go with.

Carol_Roberts
03-07-2004, 08:44 PM
You have the right idea. Grow out 6 or 8 in the 54 bare bottom.

03-08-2004, 04:57 PM
Listen to Carol, making discus compete for food against angel and silver dollars won't work, Discus just aren't that aggressive, come to think of it are there really fish other than discus??? ;) ;) ;)

steve s
03-13-2004, 10:30 AM
I have 5 discus 6 inch size and added 4 small angles
6 months ago. The angles size kept them from being
too aggressive and the discus paid no attention to them.
the angles have grown out to almost the same size as the discus and they get along fine. I have had no heath problems yet.

Carol_Roberts
03-13-2004, 10:52 AM
It's been my experience that it's mostly those new to the hobby that try to grow out juvenile discus in graveled tanks with other species of fish.

The long time, hard core, discus hobbiests grow out juveniles in bare bottom discus only tanks. Not only is it the easiest way, it is also the best way.

Willie
03-13-2004, 12:59 PM
A 6" discus is worth $50 - $100. More if its a real fancy type. An adult angelfish is worth $8 - $10. When the adult angelfish gets sick, all those $50 - $100 discus will be at risk.

Will fish get sick if you don't bring in any new fish? Mine will.

Willie