PDA

View Full Version : another discus that won't eat...

tag
03-08-2004, 03:52 PM
Hi, I have a blue diamond that is literally just wasting away. I can't say as I've ever seen a fish that moves for the food and misses usually twice and then gives up. It could be raining bloodworms and it may pick on the bottom now and again. Sometimes I'll catch it picking off the prefilter. I've witnessed one poop and I'm not sure where it's come from. What should I do? The other discus are fighting over the bh and such and this fish does come over to see what's going on but doesn't eat.Any suggestions?

A picture of the blue diamond can be seen in the gallery through members posted pics at the bottom of page 13 by brett. Is it just my imagination or is this fish too slight?

Thanks a bunch

Tina

peteypob
03-08-2004, 04:00 PM
Hi Tina,

I was just going to post the same message about my blue diamond i bought this past Tuesday. He stays in the corner of the aquarium face towards the back. Haven't really seen him poop. Vertical lines are on and off, my blue ghost picks on him when he comes out. I haven't seen him eat since I got him :( . I've posted this same message on a MIT run private mailing list dedicated directly for discus....I'll let you know what they tell me.-Pete

tag
03-08-2004, 04:13 PM
Thanks, this blue diamond is fairly new to my tank as well. I have to say that the other discus that I got at the same time is just now coming around. It does take abit of time sometimes for the fish to acclimate.In your case, I truly hope time that's all it will take. I've had my bd for about 4 - 5 weeks. I just treated with live bearer thinking maybe gill flukes but it doesn't seemed to have helped. It's gotten so slight I wish he'd eat. Oddly if I douse the tank with brine shrimp he'll catch a couple ( I mean a couple) and that's it.It's sad. I'd really appreciate any info that you can relay.

Thanks again

susankay1
03-08-2004, 05:19 PM
Try dosing the tank with Metro for a few days. Your temp needs to be 88-90 when you are dosing with metro. That should increase his appetite. A bit of salt will help soothe them some too.

tag
03-08-2004, 05:36 PM
My qt is currently housing a few babies and under the circumstances, I'm not ready to move them out yet. If the other discus are well...is it going to harm them any to dose with metro. I thought I was having a gill fluke problem so I'm currently treating with live bearer...what should I do before I start with the metro?

Thanks

Tina

bobcat
03-09-2004, 01:31 AM
I think you can metro the whole tank with the good one. metro is mild so it shouldn't hart your fish at all. more air stone and raise the temp to 93 for 10 days during and after metro are recommanded.

I saved my blue diamond by doing so. (400mg/10 gallon for 3 day. repeat does every 24 hr after 50% w/c.)

peteypob
03-09-2004, 02:46 AM
Hi all,

Well Tina the advise I'm getting from my other source is the same as all of our buddies here are suggesting. Basiclly to try Metro and observe the effects. Unfortuantly my BD has not taken a bite of anything since I bought him :( . He keeps nipping at the driftwood but thats about it. I started today with Metro @ 500mg/10gal, temp @ 87. Hope your fish gets well! -Pete

tag
03-09-2004, 10:40 AM
Send me a pm and let me know if the metro works. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. I guess I'll jump on the metro wagon here too :-\.

Take care

Tina

Carol_Roberts
03-09-2004, 11:17 AM
87 is too cold try 92+

Scrappi_tt
03-09-2004, 11:19 AM
I read that you use gill fluke med. You shouldn't use a med until you diagnose the problem correctly. mistreatment can cause more stress on the fish.

When the fish has gill flukes they, pump their gills heavily and scratch their faces on objects in the tank.

As everyone said, use the metro, heat and salt.

Have you noticed the poop of this fish? Is it wite and stringy.

Is the discus swimming at a 45 degree angle?

Is his color faded.

If he shows these symptoms, it's porobobly hexamita

tag
03-09-2004, 01:07 PM
The fish is not discoloured, it's not swimming at a 45 degree angle, the only poop I've seen was normal so I wasn't thinking hex. It does however seem that it could be gill flukes as the fish has one gill that remains closed most of the time. The discus do gulp water in an irregular breathing pattern as though something is very irritating. I'm doing a daily w/c.

I don't think I've jumped to any diagnosis. As a matter of fact I've researched the concern so greatly that I may have waited too long :'(. I'm ordering some prazi which I think will work much better than the live bearer and hopefully will be tolerated well. I don't know if I can continue with the live bearer while I wait on the prazi.

All the discus are pooping normally....I think in my case hex might jumping the gun.

Thanks for all the help and info

Tina

brewmaster15
03-09-2004, 01:24 PM
Hi ,
Since you haven't seen any off colored feces, it may be best to try raising the temp first without meds. That often is enough to stimulate appetite. I would also suggest that if you don't see any whitish stringy feces and the fish is wasting away it may be worms or possibly something like the blood protozoan..cryptobia.

-al

peteypob
03-09-2004, 02:16 PM
I used Prazi a few weeks ago on my blue ghost and he was doing the whole one gill thing as well. I had great results with it, he was better within the week. I have a gourami and a syndontis eupterus( feather fin) in with my discus and afraid that temp that high will harm them.whats the lowest temp that will activate the Metro?

Dane
03-09-2004, 03:38 PM
It does however seem that it could be gill flukes as the fish has one gill that remains closed most of the time. The discus do gulp water in an irregular breathing pattern as though something is very irritating.

Bingo! Classic gill parasite symptom, prazi is the best treatment imo.

I'm ordering some prazi, which I think will work much better than the live bearer and hopefully will be tolerated well. I don't know if I can continue with the live bearer while I wait on the prazi.

I believe "Live Bearer" is an organophosphate. If so, it is VERY dangerous to use on Discus at lower pH. I believe it can cause permanent damage to the Discus nervous system. I would never use it, but it's your fish...

tag
03-09-2004, 04:34 PM
Outside of the potential of gill flukes I've been battling ph swings as I somehow lost the kh in my tank (125 gallon). The ph is better now but was exceptionally low while I was treating with the live bearer. Although I haven't found anyone that has had any real concerns with live bearer I noticed the fish were pale and just unwell looking. I was hopeful that the ph swings in itself was the cause.

By the way, I just read your post on health versus sickness, very interesting! a real reality check and makes alot of sense.

Take care

Tina