PDA

View Full Version : new to discus

ccnroth817
03-08-2004, 04:31 PM
Hello all,

I am very new to discus, that is, this is the first time I have attempted to try a discus tank. I have, had african cichlids and various other community tanks, but when I saw discus for the first time I fell in love with them. I couldn't ever bring myself to buy them due to the horror stories I had heard about them, but after talking to a local discus keeper I decided to give it a shot. This was the site recommended to me by her, so I have a few question to ask of everyone.

First of all, my local fish store recommended using some sort of acid to lower my ph and the level required for discus. I was wondering if anyone here has tried this method. It sounds like something I would be willing to try if it was safe to do and if it kept my tank at a constant ph. Our local water has a 8.2 ph and I have used a product called, Proper ph 6.5,made by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Inc., to bring my ph down to about 6.6 to 6.8. I know that discus coud live at this ph level, but my water likes to jump up in ph ranges, from 6.6 to 7.0 when this product is used. Are there any other products you would recommend for me?

Okay, here's my last question for now. I would like to add some plants to my tank aslo, to aid in the water cleanliness. I havn't really tried to grow plants to much, but did have some success with the few I have tried. Anyway, is there any recomendations as far as plant life? How much is too much? Does this interfere with cleaning? Do the didcus actually benifit from a planted aquarium? Basically, any infromation yau have on a discus planted tank would be helpful.

Thank all of your time,

Nick

03-08-2004, 04:42 PM
Welcome to the world of discus. Most everyone on this site believes that just using 24 hour aged tap water is fine regardless of the ph, however mine is over 9.0 which is too high so I use muriatic acid aged 24 hours in my tap water to get my ph to mid 6's. Works ok but is a pain and this is some potent stuff. Got to go with your gut on this one. As far as the plants are concerned: Once you catch the discus fever it's all over and your going to want to breed these fish and have as many tanks as you can afford and have room for(just guessing ;D). So to give you my advice you need to choose which direction to go. A planted tank is beautiful and you can't deny that it's much more natural for the discus, however for maintainence if your going to have multiple tanks, go bare bottom and get a few potted plants(I like amazon swords) and put them in the barebottom, so much easier to clean and it really looks nice. This is the best route for juvenile fish and for breeding. I have to say if you want or have adult discus, one nice tank and that satisfies you, go for a full planted tank which you'll find advice for in this forum. Good luck and I hope this helps a little.

Carol_Roberts
03-08-2004, 05:18 PM
I would not try to lower the pH for growing out juveniles. My pH is 7.8. You do want to test your pH in water from the tap and in your tank prior to a water change. My PH raises from 6.8 tap to 7.8 tank after agitation to off gas CO2. Discus are more affected by swings in pH than in a constant high pH.

A bare bottom tank is the cleanest and easiest to maintain for discus. Discus and plants have many opposite requirements. Do not try to begin both at the same time. Learn how to raise discus by themselves first.

There are many good articles for you to read through stickied at the top of the beginner section and a beginner index

GulfCoastDiscus
03-09-2004, 03:17 AM
My advice to you is listen to Carol. ;D ;D

steve s
03-13-2004, 10:47 AM
I have soft water. When it comes out of the tap it is
7.2-7.4.ph but after 24 hours in storage tank it goes down.
The tank has a 6.5ph but falls to as low as 4.5 if left alone.

Tried lots of stuff but never could come up with a way to control the problem till I added buffer. I now use
seachems discus buffer and neutral regulator in
the holding tank. The tank is now at 6.5ph and stays level.

Carol_Roberts
03-13-2004, 10:58 AM
If your water is very soft (low GH) like Steve's you may need to add buffer or minerals to keep the pH from crashing.

You stated above your pH has a tendency to rise after adding proper pH. This leads me to believe you have hard water like mine. If this is the case adding acids or proper pH will only cause pH swings, then you should stick to aged tap water.

Willie
03-13-2004, 12:55 PM
Do not play with your water chemistry. Far more important than soft or neutral pH water is a constant supply of clean water. Use your water without messing with the chemistry and your discus will thrive in constant water conditions. Water changes are much easier if you don't play with chemistry. I've seen discus in pH 8.2 spawn. I've also seen discus at pH 3.5 (I did the measurement myself). If the water is clean, there is no problems. If you have the facilities, then aerating your water for 24 hours is ideal. If you don't, keep changing!

As far as plants go, I do not recommend you start with plants. In their natural habit, discus live near a muddy bottom with tree roots. There's no greenery until the rainy season when the river overflows the banks. Plants are for you, not for the fish.

Willie

ccnroth817
03-14-2004, 03:12 AM
What about using peat moss. I have heard this is a good way to soften your water with out using chemicals and you only clean the bag it is kept it once a week. The process is similar to the cleaning of sponges.

Also, if I were to buy discus from someone who kept them in a higher ph than myself, how should I get them use to my ph with out killing them off? That is my main concern when it comes to my ph. I just k=had my kh read and it was 110 to 120 ppm, is that suitable for discus?

Thank you all for the comments,

Nick

slicksta
03-14-2004, 03:36 AM
I agree with Willie.....
water chem aint worth messin' with....
constant conditions are best.

if there is a pH difference you can use the drip method for acclimation.
put the fish and bag water in a bucket and use airline tubing to start a slow drip into the bucket from your tank....when the pH is the same....plop him in the tank.....this should take about an hour..

lesley
03-14-2004, 05:33 AM
If you read the planted tank and water section, you will find references to peat. I use it and I think it helps keep my water stable; I also have very soft water. I don't see how your fish could come to any harm if you are using peat.

Again the planted tank section, will give you good advice on plants.
I started out just buying "pretty" plants and it was disastrous. The second time around I built the tank around the discus needs and chose plants that will tolerate high temps, lower light, etc. My tank now looks great and, most important, the discus are happy.

I think the advice of getting your discus settled, knowing your water well, is a good idea and you can be setting up your planted tank while you are learning what makes your discus happy.

Willie
03-14-2004, 08:10 AM
Nick;

With your water chemistry, you should just dump the discus right into the water. Make sure the temperature is approximately the same. Otherwise, many people on this forum would kill for that kH.

Willie

slicksta
03-14-2004, 10:39 AM
I agree...peat can't hurt....but it is a pain in the arss...and you will be fine with out....

IMHO....in this hobby....less is often best....the more things you try to change....the more things can go wrong....

As far as plants....I would establish the discus first and then get some plants a few months down the road

Willie
03-14-2004, 12:05 PM
When I first spawned discus, my local fish club required a written article for BAP points. Mine was entitled "Less is More". :D

Willie