PDA

View Full Version : am i doing it right??

CN
03-10-2004, 02:13 AM
10 gallon tank (for now)
two- 1and1/2 size discus
filter- mini aquaclear (should i use carbon?)
heater- temp at 80 degree (should i raise the temp?)
fake plant- plastic amazon 6" (can i use it for the discus to hide?)
lighting- (leave it on all day?, 12 hrs day time or night time?, none at all?)
background- all black cover three side of the tank
food- frozen blood worm, tetra bit
fishmate- can i add any other fish beside discus because they are too shy by themselve (discus is to expensive, can't afford more)
no gravel bare tank

how do I age water (wat is recommend to put in the water)? how long do it need to age until i can use it?

am i missing out on anything? every info would be nice!!! thank you!!!

cn

ronrca
03-10-2004, 10:43 AM
Hi CN,
Welcome to Simplydiscus! ;)

Thanks for providing lots of info. I know that we can help you successfully keep discus because we all started like you! ;D

I think that you already do know that 10G is too small for keeping discus and do hope that you can upgrade soon to at least a 55G. This way you can keep 6 discus as discus are 'schooling' fish and in order to keep the harassment minimized, at least 6 discus should be kept. 2 discus may cause problems. Also, growing out discus will require tank space and lots of food. It will be difficult to successfully grow out discus in a 10G.

Other than that, you seem on the right track. I would leave the lights on 24 hours. Personally, I would not add any other fish except for an algae eater perhaps.

Your water! I would age it for 24 hours and compare ph with tap water. Do not add anything to the water except a dechlorinator. O and no carbon in your filter!

HTH ;)

Carol_Roberts
03-10-2004, 11:15 AM
10 gallon tank (for now) too small
two- 1and1/2 size discus discus will be scared and fight with each other - really need 6
filter- mini aquaclear (should i use carbon?)no carbon
heater- temp at 80 degree (should i raise the temp?)raise temp to 84 degrees
fake plant- plastic amazon 6" (can i use it for the discus to hide?)if you feel you need it
lighting- (leave it on all day?, 12 hrs day time or night time?, none at all?) lights are for people - have lights on when you want to view discus
background- all black cover three side of the tank light blue or white is a better color for most discus. I use no backgrounds
food- frozen blood worm, tetra bit good
fishmate- can i add any other fish beside discus because they are too shy by themselve (discus is to expensive, can't afford more)discus only is best - see if a hobbyist nmear you has some for less money
no gravel bare tankgood!

steve s
03-10-2004, 11:45 AM
Seems like you have caught the discus fever. If you
take some time to read the basics on this website
it will give you all the info you need to have happy fish.
You do not have to do everything but some things are a must.
clean water - test
water changes- lots
level ph 6-7 make sure it stays at the same level
space- ten gal per adult fish can use less for small fish
grow out need to feed often 4- 5 times a day min
clean up left over food after feeding
Most poeple say you should have at least 5-6 fish
so they will not fight as much and will eat better.
You need a larger tank 30 gal plus to start and than a

jn4u
03-15-2004, 07:28 AM
In Sweden we recommend all new discus keeper to start with a larger tank around 300 liters, and also to invest in a good utside biological filter as important as the waterchange.

When It's come to water I have never change my pH just to have them in a community tank I use plain tapwater. I changen the water volym 50% every
week. This i my community tank.

http://www.discusfish.nu/community.aspx

I don't recommend a smallare group than 10 fish. Some will die and you end up with around 8 to 10 fishes. It's no problem to keep discus with other fish, tetras, etc.

Keep thing as simple as possible.