PDA

View Full Version : Do you have to use Beef Heart?

Shive
03-10-2004, 03:14 PM
Can you use a lean peice of meat like Round or Flank steak? Or does it have to be Beef Heart? I'm just curious...it's not that easy for me to get beef heart!

Thanks
Shive

Dkarc@Aol.com
03-10-2004, 04:54 PM
Beef heart is used because of its low fat content. Discus cannot digest fat from mammals, it will create blockages in their intestines. If you cannot find beef heart, try using a white non-oily fish, such as Cod.

-Ryan

Shive
03-10-2004, 07:12 PM
Hey thanks Ryan...I appreciate the info!

Shive

DarkDiscus
03-11-2004, 12:07 PM
I feed my fish frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, live black worms, live earthworms, frozen krill, tetrabits and hikari discus red.

I found the beefheart to be messy and the fish didn't like it all that much anyway. Others swear by it. But you certainly don't have to use it if you want to.

John

jn4u
03-12-2004, 08:16 PM
Well I use it but only one meal every day. Rest is live earthworms, daphnia, bloodworms etc...

Willie
03-13-2004, 12:50 PM
Shive;

Go to your local butcher department and ask them for the leanest cut. I buy Extra Lean stewing beef. Extra Lean is, by definition, < 5% fat. I've also done beefheart. After I finish the preparation, I can tell that the stewing meat is leaner than beefheart. The preparation if much drier than ground beef heart. There may be other cuts that work as well.

Everyone should look into buying pollack. I found this at my local supermarket for $2/lb. With rising beef prices, fish is actually cheaper than beef. I used to mix some fish into my 'beefheart' mix. Now I mix some beef into my "fish" mix.

Willie :)