PDA

View Full Version : A bully in the tank?

peteypob
03-11-2004, 03:38 AM
Hi all,

I just added a BD about a week and a half ago, my blue ghost and tengerine have tag teamed on him and wont let him leave the corner. I am treating for Hex right now thinking that is why he isn't eating, stressed, and hides in the corners. If the Metro doesn't work should i take him back and try another little one to see if they get along? Are my other discus's aggressivness the cause of his behavior? :( -Pete

korbi_doc
03-11-2004, 11:12 AM
:bounce2: I wouldn't come out either if I had to get past 2 aggressive beasts. I have a bully in the big tank & he has literally tried to massacre all the others, so they hide all the time. He has to go!! Maybe then the rest can come out & use the whole tank. Think I'd put more little guys in there, (how big is the tank?)they do better with a group of 6 or more, & if it continues them move those big guys into another tank, or, you could get a real big one who could take'm on, lol Dottie

Dane
03-11-2004, 11:17 AM
Some thoughts -

The two Discus attacking may think they are a pair. When Discus pair up they get VERY territorial.

I would get a tank divider and section off 1/3 of the tank for the new Discus until it gets used to the new surroundings. This will remove that 1/3rd of the old Discus territory and give the new one territory of his/her own. That way, when you remove the divider the pecking order and territory is not clear and may let everyone get along. Keep the divider up for at least 2 weeks. The divider will also lower the new Discus stress level and help ward off a disease outbreak due to stress.

Carol_Roberts
03-11-2004, 11:17 AM
Adding a single discus to an established tank is very difficult for any new fish. Three discus in a tank is a receipe for disaster. You are watching the standard outcome.

Juvenile discus do best in groups of 6 or more. You are playing russian roulette by adding new discus to your existing population without a 4 - 6 weekk quarantine. (If your fish store lets you return possibly sick fish they let other people do the same)

If it was me I'd purchase 6 discus from a reputable source and QT them in a tank big enough to eventually hold them plus the two you have now.

DarkDiscus
03-11-2004, 12:04 PM
It's amazing how rigid the discus pecking order is. There ALWAYS seems to be one fish who is the brunt of most agression. The more fish you have, the better the agression gets spread out. Like Carol said, 3 fish means the low fish gets pummelled all day long. It's even worse when 2 fish are in the tank first.

I'd put the new guy in his own tank or use the divider method, then get some more fish, quarantine and THEN put them all together.

John

peteypob
03-12-2004, 02:27 AM
hi all,

Thanks for your replies! I had a feeling I needed more budies, well I have a 30 gal with 3 discus, 3 gouramis, feather fin in there, would another two discus(2.5") over crowd the aquarium? Also I will be upgrading to a 55gal within the next three months. I know the general rule is 1 discus for every ten gallons but if I increase my water changes will it effect any? Thanks everyone! -Pete

p.s. I should have been more specific, He was quarantined for two weeks, I meant added him IN a week and a half ago

P.S.S. water changes 3 times a week @ 50%

Carol_Roberts
03-12-2004, 02:39 PM
Wait until you get the larger tank. You will need to keep the new ones seperate for the first month or so anyway.