PDA

View Full Version : Looking for realistic ceramic or plastic driftwood

brewmaster15
03-11-2004, 11:29 AM
Hi all,
I'm Looking for a source for realistic looking driftwood and stumps that is made of ceramic, or weighted plastics. Anybody know where I can find these items?

thanks,
al

DarkDiscus
03-11-2004, 12:17 PM
Al,

One of the LFS in the area - Simsbury, CT - used to have very realistic epoxy/plastic root systems for fish tank use. I haven't been there in some time. Pet Warehouse also used to have similar items, but don't anymore.

I'll see if I can find them on line.

John

Harriett
03-11-2004, 02:21 PM
I actually saw very nice plastic resin (they're pretty weighty) driftwood root looking things at Petsmart, in different sizes recently.
Harriett

bikhu
03-12-2004, 02:24 PM
I was actually just looking at some yesterday. Looked very much like the driftwood that you added to your tank Al. The probelm was that, at this LFS, a relatively small piece was $33! I imagine that you could find a wholesaler or e-vendor that would sell them cheaper. When I stop by the store to get food today I'll get the name of the manufacturer.
HTH
peter

Jason
03-13-2004, 02:03 PM
i saw some at petsmart too,

try epoxy-coating some real ones, or make a mold and fabricate some out of resin.

FischAutoTechGarten
03-13-2004, 03:00 PM
Hmm, sounds like we need to start a thread about artificial root systems for adding a natural look to bare bottom discus tanks.

Curious,
What would most hobbyist be willing to pay for a sizeable piece that dressed up a 75 gallon tank?

Would anyone consider a small display for a 29 gallon or 30long?

What are a few brands of aquatic safe resin that we could construct such roots out of?

You know what..I'm moving all of this as a seperate post to the DIY section. Answer these question there if you like.

Here's the thread:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=19;action=display;threadid=17205

yippy
03-15-2004, 03:57 AM
Brew, Pet Smart has them, theyre made by Top Fin - someone over at cichlids has one - Ill go hunting for you. I want one too - they look COOL 8) hopefully Ill be able to get one in July - i think Joefish has seen them in his area at Pet Smart - we dont have the Pet Smart shops here. :'(

Kerry

yippy
03-15-2004, 04:17 AM
http://www.simplycichlids.com/forum/index.php?board=16;action=display;threadid=784;sta rt=15

there ya go Brew - Super Red Tops got one - if you fnd them can you grab me one too? Ill send the loot !!!!

Hope they still make them - theres a website for Pet Smart but the ornament side is down.

Kerry

brewmaster15
03-19-2004, 10:56 AM
HI all,
Thanks!

Kerry..I'll look into it, Jason.. epoxy coated...that not a bad idea!
-al

Jason
03-22-2004, 12:03 PM
I got a big stump I coated with about a gallon of resin about 7 years ago, the wood was waterlogged and I'm sure its funky under the resin but its still completely sealed off and nothing I can see leaches out.

brewmaster15
03-22-2004, 12:49 PM
Jason,
what kind of resin did you use?

-al

Jason
03-22-2004, 07:08 PM
something like this Al,

but you can find it for less in a hardware store.

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/11733

I think The stuff I nused was called "glass coat" or "liquid glass" something like that, fda aproved waterproof 2-part epoxy

henryD
03-23-2004, 11:07 AM
Al,

If you find out the make of the wood or the manufacturer who makes them. I can check with my guy. I am sure we can get it around 30% below wholesale.

Henry