PDA

View Full Version : What is usu. wrong when discus stress?

jimmybui
03-11-2004, 03:12 PM
Well, currently my fish are stressing,and right now, the tank seems set up right,they are eating,and swimming happily,what is wrong? the stress lines are there and his coloration is darker, should i try ep. salt?

M0oN
03-11-2004, 04:19 PM
Stress bars aren't always an indicator of stress, they can just appear and go away whenever the fish chooses to turn em' on and off and usually fade out with age...

If your fish are eating and swimming around happily then I wouldn't worry too much, keep an eye on them and report back if they stop eating or start to cower in a corner all day, even when you aren't in the room.

03-11-2004, 10:12 PM
Yep, the bars will disappear with age and growing confidence

Carol_Roberts
03-12-2004, 02:40 PM
Even adults may show stress bars over the excitement of feeding time.

jn4u
03-12-2004, 08:13 PM
Dont look at the stress bars they are often clue of the rank, if the discus are dark and apathetic and scared, then you often have a problem with the biological cycle in the tank, not just the water change, the hole system waterchang, pump, feeding etc..

Willie
03-13-2004, 01:04 PM
When in doubt, make a large water change. If they still look stressed (not just the vertical bars), then raise the temperature and add some salt. Don't add medication until you're sure what's wrong.

Willie