PDA

View Full Version : Concerned about this discus

03-11-2004, 10:35 PM
About 2 weeks ago I noticed that one of my dominant fish stopped eating, soon followed by clear or white poop. Waited a few days before I worried about it and finally was told to treat with metro, it was assumed that he had hex. Did treatment of 500mg per 10 gallons for 3 days in my 20gal hospital tank and then stopped treatment. Never ate a bite during treatment or since(4 days now) so it's been at least 2 weeks since he ate. I decided to take him out of isolation and return to one of the tanks today. Still not eating. By the way he never was hiding in the corner or anything swims around fine but when I feed he just sucks it in and spits it out every time. Looks like he's starting to get emaciated, any suggestions or treatments?Treat with metro again?

paulmat
03-12-2004, 04:57 AM
I would treat with Prazi,IMO

Paul

Rick_May
03-12-2004, 11:07 AM
Crank up the heat to 93+, and keep it hot for two weeks even if he starts eating. Did you have it hot when you treated with Metro?

Dane
03-12-2004, 12:36 PM
I don't believe a metro bath is effective for internal problems, especially when the fish does not swallow the food. Usually when a Discus stops eating and has stringy poop, the only thing they will eat and not spit back out is live brine shrimp. Live brine shrimp is also a great way to deliver Metronidazole into the fishes gut where it is needed to combat Spironulecus and Hexamita.

Soak live brine shrimp in a 1% solution of Metronidazole solution for 3 hours and feed to the fish. I like to mix small batches and feed once a day for 3 days.

On a prevention note, I have found feeding live brine shrimp at least once a week regularly helps ward of internal hex and spiro infestations because it flushes the bad guys out. This is especially true if you feed lots of CBW or tubifex

03-13-2004, 12:10 AM
I had the temp at 90 during treatment but not now that he is back with some other discus, I'll crank up the heat. I use a powder metro(hex out) and just let it dissolve in the tank. What is prazi? Any diagnosis that you have would be great. Is this hex or what?

slicksta
03-13-2004, 11:15 AM
I would try the metro and heat again...do it for atleast a week.

Carol_Roberts
03-13-2004, 11:23 AM
Please read this on intestinal flagellates http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=16348

You have to keep the heat up for a week after treatment ends. Moving the fish around every few days only adds stress.

Willie
03-14-2004, 01:24 PM
I agree with Carol. You need to follow the treatment directions exactly.

Metronidazole has to be added at the prescribed strength. On the third and fifth days, you have to make the prescribed water change and readd the application. You can't do one shot and expect miracles.

I have found metro to be consistently effective in treating fish with white, stringy poop -- as long as you go through the prescribed treatment. The fish stops eating due to intestinal inflammations. After the treatment, it takes time for the intestines to recover. As a rule, the fish will not eat right away. In my experience, it takes 2 - 3 days after the last treatment before they resume eating.

Good luck, Willie