PDA

View Full Version : HenryD 0 Little voice 45

henryD
03-12-2004, 12:05 PM
It seems like our life is made easier everyday with more and more technological advancement. Things from GPS in the car, to cell phone, and such. Just cause it is easier does not mean it is always right.....

My strongest case is...

I decided to hit all my tanks with hyde to for gill flukes. I had bought some a couple of days ago. It was formalin. It called for1 ml for 18 galllon. I have one of those fancy electronic pipette. You just press a button and it will automatically suck up the amount and another button drops the amount. Very quick and convient. I add sodium thiosulfate in my water every day. So it saves a ton of time.

Well I used the same equipment to add in the hyde. Instead of add 3ml (55 gallon tanks) I added 30 mil. I was doing all of this around 8pm at night. Did not notice anything unusual around 10 when i turned off the light. Well woke up the next morning to find all the tanks were severly burned. FIsh on the bottom of the tanks. I quickly did a water change. But I only have a 80 gallon hot water heater. So I had to pick the ones that I like the most because I could not change them all at once. It was one of the worst decisions I ever had to make. Deciding which ones get saved and which ones dies. Now they are recovering but still slowly dying.

So far the causalities are 45 adults dead. They were all ones that I raised from 2in. Some had even started to lay eggs so all about to reach maturity.

WHen I was adding the meds I had doubts in my mind. But sort of put it off figureing the pipette could not be wrong. . I guess in the end no matter how thing make your life easier you should trust your instincts.

Henry

Ps. I needed to start thinning them out but now it looks like I don't need to... ;D ;D

Jeff
03-12-2004, 12:16 PM
Henry! I feel for you. That is very painfull. I have also burned a tank or two in the past. It happens. I'm sorry for your loses. :-\

Jason
03-12-2004, 12:28 PM
man that's brutal!

I feel for you Henry, I've lost fish to things like that too, and still do.

just gotta pick up the pieces and continue on because the hobby needs you!

Tad
03-12-2004, 12:35 PM
Henry,
Im very sorry to hear of your loss :'( :'( :'(

Regards,
Tad

DarkDiscus
03-12-2004, 12:39 PM
Henry,

That just stinks. Brutal. I feel your pain. I remember 10 tanks of fish belly up after a 3 day power outage in the middle of the winter.

Ugh.

Chin up, though, it's an excuse to buy more fish...

Not much of a consolation, but it's there...

John

ping
03-12-2004, 12:43 PM
Henry,

sorry to hear your lost :'( :'( :'(
Hope everything will be alright for you.

Regards,
Ronny

Discus_KC
03-12-2004, 12:46 PM
Henry,

Sorry for the losses. I know the feeling. Trying to do something good for the fish and you end up losing a huge bunch. Whether it's a disease, a stuck heater or a overdose, it hurts just the same.

And I've dealt with all of them in the past. All it makes you do now is be more cautious !!!!

Chin up and press on !!!!!

Jack

henryD
03-12-2004, 01:44 PM
Thanks guys.

So learn from my mistake a double check your med dosage...

Henry

Jeff
03-12-2004, 01:50 PM
Good point Henry. There are a lot of meds you can double or triple, but formalin is not one of them.

korbi_doc
03-12-2004, 01:51 PM
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

OMG, So sorry for your losses Henry, I can't even conceive of that am't of loss, makes me sad to lose just one. I had not ever used formalin before & when I did I had such trepidation, thought I was just being a chicken, but dammit this shows the problems we can run into. Guess we can't be too careful when using such meds, & I'll continue to count & recount & double check sev'l times. The heater problems scares me all the time, like waiting for disaster. Hang in there Henry, it'll get better, Dottie :'(

TKD-MAN
03-12-2004, 01:55 PM
Sorry Henry :'( :'( :'(. :banghead:

henryD
03-12-2004, 02:06 PM
Well at least I took care of those FLUKES. At least I hope so...you never could be sure with flukes.

bikhu
03-12-2004, 02:14 PM
Henry.. I am so sorry Bro...
I had a similar experience but mine was just one tank and luckily Al and Cary talked me through it. It is sooooo important to be careful with hyde. WC after 4 hours.... skip a day... repeat....
With my fish I was able to save them afeter lots of wc, added air, Hydrogen peroxide tx, and lots of salt ....
At that point the biofilter is probably shot... Be careful about amonia spikes....
Let me know if there is anything I can do and next time you decide to "thin thing out" ... let me know... You can give those MP to me... you don't have to off them!
JK
let me know if I can help with anything bro...
Peace,
peter

Carol_Roberts
03-12-2004, 02:48 PM
Henry, I am so sorry :'(

chuck
03-12-2004, 02:51 PM
sorry Henry... :'( :'( :'( :'(
chuck

JeffreyRichard
03-12-2004, 02:56 PM
Henry ... sorry to hear about the mishap. :-[

I've had more than a handful of formalin accidents where I've fried fish ... mostly they suffocate as Formaldahyde uses up oxygen (need to vigorously aerate while treating)

My suggestion is the following:
1) Add salt to each tank ... one tablespoon/10 gal ... help the healing process. Stress Coat/equivalent wouldn't hurt either ... again to help the fish slime up and heal
2) Your biological filters are fried ... you should add bacteria/emzyme to you tank to kick of the nitrogen cycle ... buy at your local pet shop or mail order TODAY!

I wouldn't worry if you have to crowd the fish for a few hours in order to get more hot water ... it's better than letting fish die. You can spread them out over the next day once water gets up to temperature.

make SURE you save the melons and RSGs!!! ::)

SSTurner
03-12-2004, 03:01 PM
Henry
Sorry to hear this I feel for your lost. Thanks for the heads up.
Steve

fshngal
03-12-2004, 03:02 PM
Henry,

I am very sorry to hear of your loss. Hope those that make it will be okay.

Fshngal

fcdiscus
03-12-2004, 03:06 PM
Very sad. I feel for you Henry. Frank :'(

GulfCoastDiscus
03-12-2004, 03:28 PM
Wow Henry :'( :'( I'm so sorry. That sucks!!

Dan

tcfish
03-12-2004, 09:27 PM
Henry sorry for your loss,why did you pe treat all your fish with hyde did you see a problem ? Never trust anything but your own administration and constant attention when using drugs,and whenever you use drugs ALWAYS have enough extra water on hand in case somthing goes terribly wrong ,I have leaned this the hard way also.

April
03-12-2004, 09:32 PM
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
poor fishies and poor Henry. think i will not use hyde..i cant be trusted either.
dont you dare give up and quit Henry..we all need you around. Hope the rest are ok. Chin up.

Lauren
03-12-2004, 10:40 PM
Henry,
I'm so so so sorry for your loss, after seeing all those gorgeous fish at your hatchery I can only imagine how hard it is to loose some of them. :(
I actually decided yesterday I was going to treat the PBs I picked up from you for gill flukes soon, they were doing the one gill breathing thing but I was unsure if they actually had gill flukes so I was hoping to use prazi mostly cause its hard to overdose. Fish meds in general are something I worry about.
Once again, im very sorry for you loss :(

Take care and keep your chin up! Think spring

Lauren

Jeff
03-12-2004, 11:21 PM
Well Henry when you are ready to start again let me know I'll have something to get you started with and help you out. ;D

SSTurner
03-12-2004, 11:24 PM
Very nice of you Jeff
Just bag my RLSS before his ;D

Jeff
03-12-2004, 11:25 PM
;D

wildthing
03-12-2004, 11:34 PM
ouch!
:(

henryD
03-25-2004, 11:25 AM
Well it seems Discus are boofhead-proof. The will even survive owners like me...

henryD
03-25-2004, 11:26 AM
Henry---the Drongo, dill, nong.

yippy
03-25-2004, 11:54 AM
henry thats so sad- maybe you should move here and try some tassie water :-\

Kerry

ping
03-25-2004, 12:02 PM
Yeah, Kerry .. He should move here with all his tanks and fish ;D
Btw, we are at the wrong time Kerry .... lol ;D

Ronny

daninthesand
03-25-2004, 12:05 PM
Henry, sorry to hear of your mishap.

Everytime I see a post like this and the fish survive regardless of what we do, I keep thinking the fragility of these fish is highly over rated.

And Henry, they laid eggs to boot! Neat!

Best of luck.

Daniel

SLY
03-25-2004, 12:16 PM
take it easy..it's painful but a lesson learnt..I feel ur pain.

henryD
03-25-2004, 12:38 PM
Daniel,

I can't agree more. It was so surprise to see them spawn after all this...So alot hardier than we give them credit for.

Henry

Lauren
03-25-2004, 12:40 PM
spawning again already? Grats ;D

crazy4discus
03-25-2004, 08:21 PM
sorrie to hear what happened henry that sucks big time well hope things get a lot better for you and your fishes

brewmaster15
03-26-2004, 10:30 AM
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

-al

speechlessly sad for you my friend!