PDA

View Full Version : LFS rescue wont eat, Help please

Tonyintx
03-13-2004, 01:00 PM
Well about two weeks ago I went to the LFS and they had 5 Heckles ( heckles are my weakness) anyway they didn't look that great but I had one in the past that was a real trooper so I thought to myself I can nurse them back to health. They weren't cheap so I only got to get 2 of them so I picked one that was the roundest and 1 that looked the most healthiest, so I get them home put them in a Q-tank (I have learned my lessons) and the 1 that looked the healthiest ate within 5 min of droping them in the tank, but the other one ( the prettiest color and roundest) was not eating, well I've tried everything from CBWs to Metro the temp has been at 92 since day 1 and he/she still wont eat what else should I do?????? please help thanks

P.S. they are in a 55 gal with 2 hydro sponges and a tetratec filter with no carbon and 75% daily wc's and 1 250 watt ebo. thank

KARINA
03-13-2004, 01:13 PM
how long has been since you treat them with metro? how many capsules did you use ?

Tonyintx
03-13-2004, 01:15 PM
I used 10 caps( each cap is 250) used that for 3 days and just salt and heat since.

KARINA
03-13-2004, 01:16 PM
why don't you send pm to wildthing ? he has a lot of expierience with wilds i am sure he will be a big help to you! ;)

Tonyintx
O sorry I used metro the first 3 days I had them.

Tonyintx
I'll try, thanks

KARINA
03-13-2004, 01:19 PM
Tony you said you used 10 cups for 3 days for 55 gal tank, right ? i have been successful with 500mg per 10 gal for 4 -5 days it will take same time for the fish to recover when did you stop the treatment? and how big are they?

KARINA
03-13-2004, 01:22 PM
so you stoped the treatment about a week and a half ego? in some cases it takes longer for the fish how about the color still darker and how about the other fish the color is fine?

Tonyintx
03-13-2004, 01:33 PM
Since I put them both in my tanks their colors are great, one eats too much but the other just swins along side and watches the other eat, they haven't been dark since I got them.

yogi
03-13-2004, 02:06 PM
A few more questions and sugestions. Is the one not eating getting thin, and has it had any white feces? Did you treat at all for flukes? Have you tried live brine shrimp? It stays suspended in the water longer than CBW's.

Tonyintx
03-13-2004, 02:10 PM
Wel as far as being thin they were already a little thin but the on the is eating is getting thicker as we speak but the other as far as I can tell hasn't gotten any thinner he has not eaten so no feces as of yet, at least that I have seen. haven't tried live brine, the LFS only gets them in once a week(Tues.) but I will try it this week. thanks to you guys and gals.

jim_shedden
03-13-2004, 05:18 PM
Tony: Here is the metro formula I use. 500 mg every 8 hours at 90+ heat for 3 days. Lay off for a couple of days and if required re-dose.

jim

KARINA
03-14-2004, 11:37 AM
hello tony !! IMO if the fish won't take CBW there is no chance that will eat LBS, as for the flukes i don't think it is your concern here since i assumed you don't have wild juv but the adults and as far as i know from Frank they are like fleas on the dog and as you know the dog won't die from it , and still eats , no? ;) so i don't think if that was the case here the fish wouldn't eat anything i believe you are dealing with something else here if with anything ....after the treatment with metro 10 cups per 3 day dosing 55 gall sounds alright i was successful with 500mg per 10 every day however , Tony keep it in mind there is no discus alike just like people some recover sooner then the others so give it sonme time ....some of mine was fine right away and for some it took longer . I wouldn't separate the "sick fish" from the "healty one" as if yet you just completed the metro treatment on both about a week and a half ego, right? just wait a while the recovery takes some time ....good luck :)let me know what happened.

KARINA
03-14-2004, 11:38 AM
sorry i had used 500mg per 10 gall for 4-5 days forgot to mentioned for how long but here it is! ;D

wildthing
03-14-2004, 05:52 PM
I would suggest the same as the others here...& what you are already doing....but sometimes they just don;t make it.....
:(

Tonyintx
03-14-2004, 06:38 PM
Then I guess I'll try another 3-5 day treatment of metro and just give him some time. thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions.

Fishin dude
03-15-2004, 11:24 AM
These young Heckels are very delicate...I lost two of the four 3 inch...they were bagged two to a bag in Brazil.....not smart...and were extremely stressed.
Just wither away.
Also one of my 6" shut down and died two days later...go figure.
When I got him, there was a small hole with meat showing on the main body....it healed up nicely, then he bit the dust a week later??
I will blame the baggers in Brazil :spank:

Tonyintx
03-20-2004, 10:46 AM
Well things just got worse, I've treated again 4 doses of metro tank temp at 94 and know the one that was eating just fine is now almost black in color and has white patches around the top of the gill area and only uses one gill at a time to breathe and eyes are clouded. what shoud I do know?? o the other one still wont eat. what to do? THANKS in advance.

KARINA
03-20-2004, 11:53 AM
Hey Tony be really carefull with the meds give them more time beetwen the treatments you said one was eating fine the color was fine too why did you treat him/her again then? the other wasn't but it takes longer for some discus ...... i guess now is to late for that kind of advice :-X sorry coz you said the situation just gotten worse in many cases discus can survive without food for some time so before you treat it with the medicine you should be sure what you treat your discus for otherwise you just make them weaker with the meds IMO i would stop all the treatment do a lot of water changes ( hopefully you have good water quality so you can do that ) salt, extra eiration and temp at 88 or 90 wait and then see that's what i would do but it's up to you just try to hung in there, good luck Tony and like David said sometimes they just don't make it .... :-\

Tonyintx
03-20-2004, 12:08 PM
Thanks Karina, I thought I was supposed to do 1 treatment every day after a 50-75% wc and that is what I was doing. but I stopped to treatments after the 4th one and desided to see what will happen so for now I will just cross my fingers and wait. thanks again.

KARINA
03-20-2004, 01:35 PM
Tony that is not what i said that you should do another treatment i suggested you should wait before you decide it to do it again coz it takes longer for some discus to recover then the other anyhow it's too late you have already done it i will keep my fingers cross for the fish to get better just try the water changes for a while now , good luck again Tony