PDA

View Full Version : algae out of control

Abercrombie6202
03-14-2004, 01:04 PM
i think like every few days i have to wipe pretty much the whole tank of algae, it gathers up soo much, from little spotted brown looking algae to green algae on the bottom and sides, to like blackish-dark green algae on the corners and where the sides meet the bottom, it's really annoying! I've also had bad luck with all algae eaters, for some odd reason i can't keep any alive, anyone have any suggestions on getting rid of the algae?

Willie
03-14-2004, 01:20 PM
Turn off the lights!

Willie

limige
03-14-2004, 02:11 PM
i had a deep grean algea carpet the sand on my 190, i had to shut the lights off for 2 day's to kill most of it!

it still lingers, i hate it. i switched my light cycte to 12 hours and raised my lights, i'm wondering if 10 4ft. bulbs are too much for my 190.

Carol_Roberts
03-14-2004, 02:29 PM
Erythromycin for blue green algea (cyano bacteria)
Salt for green algea
Clean tank and filters, less light for brown diatoms

Willie
03-14-2004, 02:44 PM
Remember that erythromycin will wipe out the biological filter.

One main reason I switched my showtank to bb was the algae in the sand.

Willie

Carol_Roberts
03-14-2004, 03:01 PM
Hi Willie:
I've not had my bio wiped out with the erythromycin at 250 mg per 10 gallons - one treatment. Of course I do 50% water changes everyday with normal stocking densities . . . .

limige
03-14-2004, 07:38 PM
here's a pic of my algea problem

Don_Lee
03-14-2004, 07:46 PM
In the short term, I would turn off the lights for a couple of days, and then remove all of the algae that you can. Then, I would consider my setup, i.e. lighting. How much lighting do you have, is your tank BB?

Don

ghettobanana
03-15-2004, 06:09 PM
BGA happens when you have low Nitrate levels and/or poor water current. Increase your Nitrate to 5-10ppm if it’s below. You also need to check your water movement. If you see this as a problem you can add a powerhead and a sponge filter attached to the bottom. I would also check my Phosphate levels since I have seen it grow when they are too high.

I would do the above, get this part fixed and then...

BTW...200 mg of Erythromycin Phosphate per 10 gals, it is a temporary fix. You can buy this at places like Pet Smart in the Aquaria Meds.

EthanCote.com
03-16-2004, 11:59 AM
I have had luck with a bushy nose algae eater. To keep them alive and healthy remember to place a piece of driftwood for them to chew on.

They do a super great job. Ever since I lost mine, my tank looked like a war zone. Very very messy with algae everywhere. Never knew how great of a job she does until she was gone. Looking to buy another one soon.

Cheerio,

Chi.