PDA

View Full Version : Protecting my ....

Fish Addict
03-16-2004, 02:52 AM
Hello everyone !!

My fish tanks are in the basement. The basement temp. is 60 F. I heard that water evaperation will damage my house.....

What should I use? Humidifier or Dehumidifier?

Haywire
03-16-2004, 08:26 AM
I'm currently running 9 tanks in the basement excluding the sump and 2 55 gal. drums in my basement.

My basement is wide open so the air can circulate and dilute the water that has evaporated.

If your tank is in an enclosed room then you may have problems. This is what I do for a living so there's a lot things that we can talk about. Most important thing is to use a cover (i'm lazy and don't use covers except on tanks with jumpy discus)

Now describe your basment/fishroom.

Carol_Roberts
03-16-2004, 10:38 AM
Humidifier adds moisture, dehumidifier removes moisture.

Fish Addict
03-16-2004, 11:52 AM
Thank You Haywire and Carol_Roberts !!

I will buy a dehumidifier... :)

ronrca
03-16-2004, 04:20 PM
Also get a relative humidity meter which are inexpensive. This way you can tell how much humidity you actually have. Try to keep it around 50 or less % humidity. ;) Of course, remember that this is 'relative' humidity therefore if its raining outside......well, the humidity will be higher!

Larry Grenier
03-16-2004, 05:44 PM
Also, remember that during those long cold Canadian winters when your house heater is on alot it's good to get some of that moisture into the air.

mattrox
03-19-2004, 04:09 AM
Try to keep it around 50 or less % humidity. ;) Of course, remember that this is 'relative' humidity therefore if its raining outside......well, the humidity will be higher!

Its good to have weather that allows that humidity. :-\ Our relative humitity this time of year is typically higher than 50%. This is a B$#%^ for humans. However, our houses are designed for it with lots of windows to allow air movement. A large tank can't add too much more moisture to the air up here right now...... its 90% + RH ;D

Atleast in the dry season (may-sept) the humidity is great. (So are the days.) :D usually 4 to 5 months with very few rainy days.