PDA

View Full Version : Gill problem

reef
03-16-2004, 09:48 AM
Hi, I had this problem on my male LSS. Anyway he's on the way to recovery. Just to share my experience. Actually last thursday he did the 1st spawn with his mate but all eggs not fertilised.

So I prepared them with lotsa feedings and lotsa wc for next spawn. But seems like he lost his drive somewhat 2 days later. Still swimming normal but not eating much and more shy than usually. I then decided to jack-up temp to 32c to see how things going. But totally no increase in appetite. The female was eating normal.

It made me kinda worried so did a close-up visual inspection. Only then I notice his left gill was not moving at all. Never really check on birth defects when I bought them 2 months back. Anyway I was left will acriflavin (my fault not stocking up on medicine). I thought acriflavin will not help much but after much reading up, I conclude it could help if the gill problem was due to a bacterial infection.

So after much thought I decided to do salt treatment, acriflavin and 32c temp.

I did 100% wc and remove sponge filter b4 starting treatment. Then I began observing them like a hawk at 15mins interval. Not much change after 6 long hours. So decided to repeat treatment again. And this time b4 adding salt and acriflavin I saw the male sort of cough out bits of white almost transparent wafer-like stuff and his gill moved slightly.

I thought I was on the right track and immediately restart the treatment. Left them overnight. Next day discover that gill was ok but the otherside looks not. I mean when he passes water thru them, one side more than the other. Repeat treatment again but not much change.

After much thought on how to get him to exercise both gills to the max, I decided to partition the tank and put a very fierce male on the otherside. As predicted he and his partner become territorial, fins full spread, all guns blazing and yes both gills pumping hard ;D. Focusing on the intruder all this time while I'm still monitoring his condition.

Maybe who knows, it kick some sense in him to do his job. Will monitor him further and Yes will go stock up the medicine cabinet!!!

ValorG
03-16-2004, 11:35 AM
well sounds like gill fluke to me and not a bacterial infection so u should prolly try and get something for dat.