PDA

View Full Version : White feces Hex or bloodworm bi-product?

zenman
03-16-2004, 11:25 PM
Lost a 3" PB 4 days ago. His growth was stunned when i got him, thought maybe thats why he got picked on and died until the very next day when the 3" Colbalt blue started hiding in the plants and not eating. This kinda worried me so i raised to temp to 90. Now the blue has came out of the plants chasing the newly introduced Virgin Red and noticed his appetite has increased however while hand feeding him today i noticed his feces was white. Could this be Hex or some outher intestinal parasite or from the blood worms i feed on occasion? Should I medicate? Please help don't wanna loose anouther. :'( Dave

tag
03-17-2004, 11:22 AM
Hey Dave,
Sorry to hear about your discus. I hope you get it figured out before you lose another :(. Really interested to read any replies on this post as I've been wondering the same thing. I haven't concerned myself with the quality of the bloodworms as I'm feeding frozen Hikari biopure worms. I'm sure that it's always possible that they could be a carrier of something but not likely...I don't think :-\. I have seen the same type of feces as what you're describing here. Some of the worms that I feed are not full red but kindof whiteish. I haven't lost any discus but am still curious.

Sorry that I can't be of more help. Can you post any pictures? That appears to be the best way to get a reliable answer to feces etc. problems.

Good luck with your trouble

Tina

zenman
03-17-2004, 11:41 AM
Tina i dont think you fully understood what I was trying to convey in my previous post. I dont suspect the blood worms being the carrier of the infection. I feel the PB was already infected. The feces i am speaking of looks as if it's the casing of the blood worm less the blood & protien actually it looks like a pale white blood worm is this consistnet with hex or any other infection? Thanks Dave

tag
03-17-2004, 11:49 AM
Dave,

:) Gotcha and didn't, but yes, I have noticed the same thing with my discus. I thought you might also be concerned with it having come from the bwms.

It is a good way to describe it :)

Tina

susankay1
03-17-2004, 01:10 PM
Sounds like hex which can pop up when fish are stressed. I don't know how your plants will handle it, but sounds to me like you should do a search regarding hex on this site. They normally call for high temps (88-92) and Metro and salt. There is a wealth of information on hex and other problems on this site. I'm sure you will be able to find the exact dosages and how it will interact with your plants. Did you quarantine the new fish (Virgin Red) before putting it into the tank? HTH

Wahter
03-22-2004, 12:03 PM
Metronidazole has not negatively affected any of the sword plants I've had in the tanks I've treated. Good luck! :)

zenman
03-22-2004, 02:19 PM
Still havent treated the Blue Discus seems to be getting better on its own. Eating more not hiding as much perhaps he just misses the PB?