PDA

View Full Version : discus screen savers

toddmc
03-18-2004, 06:52 PM
hello i would like to know if anyone knows where you can get some nice discus screen savers? thanks
\ 8)

brewmaster15
03-19-2004, 10:52 AM
Hi,
I use a free screensaver software call gphoto. Download it here...

http://www.gphotoshow.com/

Then alls you do is set up a file with images and what ever pics are in it... will be run as a screen saver.

Its best to ask the owners of the pics if they mind you using their pics on your computer in a non-commercial fashion...some do , most don't.

hth,
al

SHAWN WARDLE
03-19-2004, 11:07 AM
GO TO www.webshots.com then go to search put in discus fish, pretty good selection.

jaydoc
03-19-2004, 11:35 AM
I confess! I copy ya'lls pics into my screensaver!
Cary the Lesser

Rick_May
03-19-2004, 11:48 AM
I couldn't more strongly recommend you DO NOT use webshots. This recommendation comes from someone with a masters in Computer Science, a bachelors in business information systems and many years of maintaining hundreds of computers, networks and programming experience. Webshots is truly evil, well not webshots itself but it comes with a host of spy programs including what I think is the most invasive and annoying of them all.... the dreaded "Gator". If you load on webshots every time you go on the internet you'll get an endless supply of popups and crap you don't want. There is nothing that will slow your computer down like gator.

Folks, it’s really easy to do a screensaver from pictures that you have. Simply go to the display properties by going through your control panel or right click on your desktop and go to properties. Then click on the screen saver tab, use the dropdown box to select “my picture show”, click the settings and set the directory where you’re saving your discus pictures. If your cruising the internet and you find a photo you like, right click on the photo and if you are able to copy it, you will get an option to “save as” and put it in the photo directory.

I also recommend that everyone use a program that you can download from download.com called “spybot search and destroy” this will hunt down and destroy spyware programs like gator.

brewmaster15
03-19-2004, 12:01 PM
Amen Rick!!

Spybot rules!!! as added tip..combine it with Ad-aware to catch what spybot misses. :)

-al

oodi
03-19-2004, 12:23 PM
Then add Pest Patrol to finish it off! And YES... I use all 3! Here is a link to Snapfish Photo Wizard. You can use it to create your own screen saver using pics of your choice.

http://www.snapfish.com/photowizard/t_=0

Judi
:)

toddmc
03-19-2004, 02:11 PM
Thanks very much for the input. That was my first post and I am new to discus so I dont have any pis right now.I just purchased 8 red dragon babies and I am ready to get into the hobbie! I have already read some good stuff on this websight and am looking for some great experiances on this sight so thanks again Todd :)

brewmaster15
03-19-2004, 02:48 PM
:) :)Welcome To SimplyDiscus Todd!!!!! :) :) :)
:)

-al

lesley
03-19-2004, 05:27 PM
Hi Rick,

didn't know that about webshots!!! I am using webshots but also use Spyware Blaster and SpywareGuard which stop spyware/malware like Gator from actually being installed.

When using it Spybot tells me my system is clear each time. Adaware still picks up an occasional tracking cookie but the nasties are stopped dead.

Rick_May
03-19-2004, 05:56 PM
Hi Lesley,
Yep webshots comes packaged with a bunch of spyware, but if you've been able to clean them off and webshots still works that's great. Webshots is very cool. It’s getting more and more that "you don't get anything for free". Its amazing how fast spyware is evolving, I think it’s become more of a problem for me, then viruses. I can buy a virus scanner that will get 99% of viruses, but it seems I keep on getting hit with new and improved spyware.