PDA

View Full Version : Discus Breeders

reefbum
03-18-2004, 11:07 PM
Has anyone ordered from the Somethingsphishy? I would like to know if they are a dependable breeder. I want to order more Discus but don't want the problems I had with The Discus Place, 8 out of nine Discus died. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Also if you know of a dependable breeder in the Southeast please let me know. Thanks

M0oN
03-18-2004, 11:12 PM
Somone I spoke with at another forum said they received very poor stock from them unknowingly, they were new to discus and got the fish directly from the store, not through air mail...

reefbum
03-18-2004, 11:22 PM
Thanks Moon, I hate to hear this as they have some beautiful Discus on the web with great prices. This was the problem I had with the Discus Place in TX. Shipment came with very little water in the bags (more in the box than in the bags) and very little air. Bags were laying flat and fish were unable to swim and laying against each other. Four died within three days and now I only have one out of the nine left. Nothing should be treated like these beautiful Discus were treated. I am also out over $400.00. Have a great evening.

M0oN
03-18-2004, 11:57 PM
reefbum, any of the banners at the top of this forum are excellent sources.

I can vouche for Jeff at discusfarm.us as I own 16 of his fish, none have had any problems, he fills his bags up properly with just the right size so that the fish are not banged around in shipment and if any fish arrive dead or badly injured he will replace them at no cost.

He's got a great starter package deal, 3 blue diamonds, 2 red turq's, 2 pearl pigeon bloods...somthing like 190 bucks and that includes shipping...

April
03-19-2004, 04:55 AM
shipping really isnt any different price from anywhere in usa i believe..i agree with Moon. any of the banners you see on this forum have a good reputation . and most of us have ordered from them. i have fish from great lakes discus and jeff at discusfarm.us.
best to pay a bit more..or talk toe the person on the phone and via email etc..and ask for references etc. once you talk to any of these gentleman on this forum..you will know they know their fish and care about their customers. most of us have become good friends with these guys. good luck..and let us know what you decide and what you receive.
a good breeder should replace if problems or at least help with advice.

reefbum
03-19-2004, 07:46 AM
Thanks you guys. Went to GLD and what a awesome selection. Requested a list that is available next week. This guy gives top service and appears to really love his Discus. This means a lot as he will take pride in everything he does. Shipping great also as The Discus Place was $108.10 and a real rip off. The loss of the money was bad but the torture to the Discus is even worse. The Discus I have in my 150 gal tank are the greatest pleasure I have ever had and I have had reef tanks, saltwater fish and tropical fish for 30 years. These are the greatest. Again, THANKS!!!