PDA

View Full Version : My pair!

Abercrombie6202
03-21-2004, 05:48 PM
Okay so here is the pair the BD (without the SS pattern) and the spotted leopard and teh BDxSS who follows the pair around.

Abercrombie6202
03-21-2004, 05:50 PM
The tank looks dirty because i have an algae problem, any suggestions on how to fix it?

The female...

Abercrombie6202
03-21-2004, 05:51 PM
the male...

Abercrombie6202
03-21-2004, 05:51 PM
the pair...
I hope i have success with them!Sorry for the bad pictures, i don't know how to make them like great quality...

Ryan
03-21-2004, 05:52 PM
How long do you leave your tank lights on and how many water changes do you do/how much? I'd get some plecos, preferably the little dwarf albino ones. They seem to do a good job.

My algae problem comes from high levels of nitrate as far as I can tell, because I don't do water changes very often (community tanks, not discus tanks). I also think it has something to do with the amount of light my tanks get. I combat it with plecos and wipe-downs.

Ryan

Abercrombie6202
03-21-2004, 06:03 PM
I leave the lights on from 6 A.M. till aboput 11:30 P.M. This makes it much easier for me, and gives me the availability to feed them 3 times a day. Should i turn them off earlier? I do have one of those automatic timers. I usually do 3 waterchanges a week, but this week i have not been able to do any because Supposebly my storage tank leaked and my mom is P*ssed off at me, but i should be able to get another w/c before this upcoming wednesday, when i leave for a little retreat for school, for about 3 days. I've also never had good luck with any algae eaters, i bought 2 bristlenose plecos about a month and a half ago and they both died. I also set-up my 20 gallon high to be for the pair and i don't think i'm going to put the discus that follows them with them. Any comments?

Ryan
03-21-2004, 08:21 PM
It may help to increase the water changes, just to see what that does. I'm not good with the different types of algae, so someone else may be able to help. I always just use process of elimination. When I do lots of water changes, mine seems to not be so bad. I have always just assumed that I was lowering nitrates and giving the algae less to feed on.

I've started using pothos now. You've probably seen members here with pothos vines growing in their tanks. You put the roots in the water and let the leaves/vines drape over the top/outside of the tank. These absorb a lot of excess nitrate in the water and seem to help a little bit.

Ryan

crazy4discus
03-21-2004, 09:20 PM
nice discus adam

Abercrombie6202
03-21-2004, 09:30 PM
where could i go to get pothos?

jimmybui
03-23-2004, 11:35 PM
nice pics