PDA

View Full Version : Spitting Food and Eating very little

jules
03-21-2004, 07:48 PM
My 2 incher is grey looking, has stress bars showing, is getting thin; and is at a 45 degree angle. He has brown feces now; but previously had those dreaded white feces. I think it's Hex, so I elevated the temp to 92 for 9 days and now he has started eating a little; but spits the majority out.
When I initially got him 2 1/2 months ago, I treated him with metro and life bearer. He had a better appetite with a little spitting; but has never been as nicely coloured as his mates.
He temporarily switched tanks which stressed him. He's in BB, all other parameters and discus fine.
What would you suggest? thanks :)

Carol_Roberts
03-21-2004, 10:40 PM
Try treating with metro again - if he doesn't improve You may want to cull him.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=16348

Dane
03-25-2004, 12:17 PM
I agree with Carol. I've dissected Discus after a bad bout of intestinal flagellates. Sometimes the flagellates have damaged the intestines beyond repair. The gut is literally mush and does not recover.

Discus in this condition never really recover. They seem to get better, but never put on the weight they once had and always are the 1st ones to get sick.

This condition becomes a host for the many opportunistic parasites and bacteria that inhabit all fish tanks. This is the reason for culling. You don't want a fish that is hosting and multiplying disease causing organisms.

jules
03-29-2004, 12:24 PM
I tried a 3 day course of Metro at high temps with no improvement. He faded away to nothing without recovering...I culled him this morning.

Carol_Roberts
03-29-2004, 05:50 PM
Some times that is all you can do . . . .

DiscusFevaa
03-30-2004, 12:34 AM
Does culling means killing it? ???

Carol_Roberts
03-30-2004, 01:54 AM
yes