PDA

View Full Version : How much gelatin?

tony1313
03-24-2004, 10:05 AM
Not to sure about my spelling(gelatin). I'm making about 20-25 lbs of bh mix today and would like to use knox gelatin as a binder. I have made batches before without the knoxs and it doesn't hold together as well as I would like. How much should I use for 25 lbs? I don't need to heat the 25 lbs do I? Can I just use hot water to disolve the gelatin and then mix with the 25 lbs?

Sorry about posting this in the General but I figured I'd get quicker replies.

tia,
Tony

brewmaster15
03-24-2004, 09:10 PM
Hi Tony,
The key with the gelatin is to dissolve it first in hot water ( not boiling, then mix it it with the food..then add Ice cold water That will set it quickly if spread out about 1/2 inch thick and refrigerated. The amount you will use will depend on how much other "ingredients" you add.. It would be best to experiment a little. Make your mix and then work with about 5 lbs... with a mix containing a bunch of other foods., I usually find myself using 6 pkts of knox/5lbs. try that and if it doesn't set right, increase the amount of gelatin.

hth,
al

tony1313
03-24-2004, 11:36 PM
Hi Al,
Thanks for the info. The consistancy of the mix is very thick(about the same as hamburger maybe a little thiker) it is also refrigerated(about 40deg).

Do I add the amount of water to the gelatin per instructions or just enough to disolve it?

Also if the mix is 40deg do I still need to add cold water?

I usually package in ziplock bags, will this still work?

And last but not least, can I freeze right away or should I refrigerate 1st?

I know it's a lot of questions but I want to do it right.
Thanks again,
Tony