PDA

View Full Version : Discus looks healthy but won't eat.

Russ
03-24-2004, 05:02 PM
Hi,
I have a discus which I purchased a month and a half ago and looks great, but hasn't eaten anything but a biteful since I got her. I thought it might be hexamita so I quarintiened her and treated with metro and raised temp with no results, since she looks healthy and hasn't lost much weight so I put her back in the main tank where she proceded to pair off with the dominate discus, but she still won't eat. I'm thinking of trying prazi, but don't know if it will do any good.

Russ

M0oN
03-24-2004, 05:25 PM
If she hasn't lost any weight in that amount of time perhaps she's just in adulthood and doesn't have the appetite of younger discus?

Are you sure she's not pecking around at leftovers?

Russ
03-24-2004, 05:36 PM
She does peck once in a while but not often, but I haven't seen her poop since I got her.

Russ

M0oN
03-24-2004, 05:41 PM
Have you tried epsom salt, maybe she's constipated?

Russ
03-25-2004, 02:56 AM
No, I haven't tried epsom salt, can you mix it with prazi? I noticed that she favors one gill when she breathes heavely sometimes, I thought maybe it's gill flukes.

M0oN
03-25-2004, 12:28 PM
Be sure your water is well aerated before you treat for flukes, at times it can simply be a lack of oxygen, throw a couple of air stones on each side of the tank and do a large water change.

I don't see why epsom salt can't be used with other medications, it's nothing that's going to be too hard on the fish...