PDA

View Full Version : Oregon stopping homosexual marriage?

SLY
03-25-2004, 11:15 AM
I read an article in our local newspaper that says Benton County in Oregon has decided to ban all marriages gay and heterosexual until the state decides who can and who cannot wed? Is it true? Would like to hear it from you oregon folks like Carol. :)

Carol_Roberts
03-25-2004, 01:44 PM
Multnomah county (Portland, Oregon) began issuing same sex marriage licenses last month. Some marriages were performed. Benton County also started to issue same sex licenses. As you can imagine law suits were filed challenging the validity of these licenses. This issue will be going to the Oregon Supreme Court in the very near future. In the meantime Benton County has stopped issuing same sex licenses.

My county (Douglas County) has never issued same sex licenses, but I can marry couples with a valid license from any Oregon county. Over the years I have performed several marriages where the license originated in Multonomah County. If a same sex couple had brought a valid Multonomah County license to my office would it have been legal for me to perform it?

LEM504
03-25-2004, 02:53 PM
Yes, I’m afraid it is true! Too bad we couldn’t have found a worthwhile issue to put us on the map! It would be nice, to be known for our Mountains, Desert, Forests, and Beaches.
Be interesting to see where this goes, but glad to see everyone made the news.
Think I would rather keep my sex life private, and wish others would do the same.

As for the legal part - the magic words are Can, and Will.
Can leaves you a choice. Will is an order.

Let us go back to the fish! I prefer male and female as I’m interested in raising fish.
Let the 6 O’clock news handle this one -

Larry
Oregon

SLY
03-25-2004, 09:56 PM
I see..so carol what u mean was even if your county doesn't issue or banned the same sex marriage license, you can still perform the marriage which was issued by other county..hehe doesn't make sense though but thanks for the response. :)