PDA

View Full Version : FRY ON DISCUS WITH NEW EGGS ON CONE

DISCUSDADDYSLC
03-26-2004, 12:50 AM
GOT A NEW PAIR JUST FINALLY GOT SOME FRY ON THERE BACKS AND THEY GO AND LAY SOME MORE EGGS. ::) WHAT WOULD BE THE THING TO DO? TO PULL OR NOT TO PULL

April
03-26-2004, 01:10 AM
how old are the fry? and how many? if only a few and they have new eggs..they will eat the fry. so ..depends. if a bigger batch of eggs..that are fertile..the next spawn will most likely be better. if their old enough for bbs then pull before they eat them. or...if not old enough let them decide.

DISCUSDADDYSLC
03-28-2004, 03:40 AM
LEFT THE FRY WITH THE PAIR OVERNIGHT SO I COULD COOK UP SOME BBS. NEXT MORNIG NO FRY AND BATCH OF EGGS FUZZY WITH MAYBE TWO EGGS FERTULIZED. LOST OUT ALL TEH WAY AROUND NEXT TIME WILL GET FRY OFF PARENTS ASAP AND LET THEM TEND TO NEW EGGS. THE NEVER ENDING LEARNING PROCESS. :'(

Pat_in_NC
03-29-2004, 03:34 PM
If this happens again try pulling the female to another tank and get rid of the eggs. A batch of fry on the fathers side is more "valuable" than a clutch of eggs that may or may not be fertile. Usually the father will care for the fry by himself until they are old/big enough to eat on their own.

HTH,

Pat

korbi_doc
03-30-2004, 04:15 PM
:D :D I agree with Pat, when my pair did the same thing, was advised to separate the parents in the tank after fry are free swimming, with divider (plastic light covers) that the fry can swim thru to each parent. Don't let them have another spawn (eggs) to care for & they can raise the young "together". I removed the mommie dearest when I discovered her eating the fry & dad raised the babies himself, did a great job. Started feeding bbs on day 3 & took him out when they were 3 wks old. Now if I have a pr I know will do this, will use the divider method, JME, Dottie ;D

DISCUSDADDYSLC
03-30-2004, 11:25 PM
WENT DOWN TONIGHT AND ANOTHER BATCH GOING TO LET THEM HAVE THIS ONE THEY ARE REALLY ON THEM CLOSE THIS TIME. KEEPING FINGERS CROSSED. AND GOING TO PULL THEM AS SOON AS ANY FOOLIN AROUND STARTS. BETTER GO START THE BBS.

Pat_in_NC
03-31-2004, 03:25 PM
The idea is to leave the male in with the fry if the female looks like she might spawn (i.e. cleaning cone, tube down). You don't need to start the BBS until 5 or 6 days after the fry go free swimming and have been eating (at least one parent's) slime for 4-6 days. Discus fry won't touch BBS before this. I apologize if you knew all this already (its part of the long history of discus breeding legend how Wattley first developed the egg yolk substitute for parents slime because the newly hatched discus wouldn't eat BBS) but "got to go start BBS" after seeing a new batch of eggs had me worried.

HTH,

Pat