PDA

View Full Version : pH calibration/storage solutions?

StarChazr
03-26-2004, 07:54 AM
Hello All :)

I'm looking into buying a pH tester (Hanna Instruments) this model has the temp guage included. I'm rather confused about calibration (do I really need two solutions to calibrate?) :-\ as well as the storage (electrode) solution?

This is the one I was looking into ordering:

the pHep® 4
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9848&D=ph%20tester&R=16330 &Ntt=ph%20tester&Ntk=All&Dx=mode+matchallany&Ntx=m ode+matchallany&Np=1&N=2004&Nty=1

Any/all help and advice would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks...

StarChazr

03-26-2004, 05:40 PM
There are various models available for measuring pH.
Some use 1 point calibration and others use 2 point calibration.
IMO the 2 point calibration is more accurate.

You could also contact RandalB here and he can give you the take on the various models. He also sells Hanna I think.

I use Pinpoint and have them in the Tanks all the time, so I don't use storage solutions and can’t give you advice on that.

hth Ronald

Mick M
03-29-2004, 05:35 PM
I use both companies equpment. They do the same job equally well but it is cheaper for me to buy new equipment than just the probes?

They should be calibrated for ph every four weeks or so, personally I use only the ph4 and 7 solutions.

Conductivity meters should be calibrated every three months.

Ronald- as a side note I have had to replace the probes after about 18 months- I too leave them in the tanks all the time but have been advised to remove and clean them at the same time as calibrating, this should extend there life span a while.
Regards
Mick M.

03-29-2004, 07:53 PM
Thanks Mike,

Thats the way I also do it. Mine also last about 18 month, if I take good care that is :)

Ronald