PDA

View Full Version : water change stress my discus

03-26-2004, 02:55 PM
I notice some people mention that water changes don't bother their discus but mine don't like it at all and never had. The temp and parameters have nothing to do with it because it is heated and ph adjusted(aged about 24 hours) and aeriated. They hide for 30 minutes after I do a change which is 50% every other day,was every day but got sick of that! Maybe I'm just too rowdy and careless when I do it, I really don't try to be quiet or move slowly, most of you really cautious and quiet when doing changes or any opinions?

M0oN
03-26-2004, 03:03 PM
My fish would run and hide for quite some time until I stopped using the syphon and simply used the hose to do the cleaning, the trick is to move very slowly when you're in their territory...

03-26-2004, 03:48 PM
For me since I keep the lights on more and move slowly, they still hide behind the sponge filters but don't go into panic mode anymore. When I cycled the lights on and off at 12 hour intervals they were super skittish and darted at high speed against the glass and syphon tubes. Only thing I do differently now is keep a low power light on all night till I switch on the main lighting on and that seems to have worked.

Jean
03-26-2004, 04:56 PM
When I first get in fish they are shy... and tend to hide with the process. I start out slow with them til they get comfortable with me, then I pick up the pace gradually and go as I would normally go... a decent pace.

When filling toss in some food so they associate the process with a good thing.

Actually, mine tend to get in the way more than not.... a pic is proof! ::) Silly things! ::)

They will come around... be patient!

Jean ;D 8)

GulfCoastDiscus
03-26-2004, 08:55 PM
It also has a lot to do with how many you have in the tank. They feel more comfortable in numbers.

dan