PDA

View Full Version : Beaten up and looking sick.

marcw
03-29-2004, 08:27 AM
Hi all!

I've been a lurker in these forums for a few weeks now, and have recently taken the plunge, and got myself 3 discus. I am VERY much a beginner. So, I've got a smallish Twinkle Spot (so I'm told), and a smallish German Cobalt and another GC that's a bit bigger (see - I don't even know in which direction you measure 'em!). The plan was for a total of 5 (2 x Pidgeon Blood still to arrive at the store).

Already I have a serious problem. The TS is a big bully, and always hassles the smaller GC - especially around feed time - attacking him every time he comes near. The victim did end up getting enough food and didn't seem too upset and wasn't getting visibly wounded, so I passed it off as the pecking order becoming established, and didn't worry too much.

But tonight!!! Ohhh - bully fish has become more aggresive, and is now attacking randomly (and viciously) - food or not.

The smaller Cobalt has now turned dark, and is looking very ill. He twitches a lot and every now and then darts frantically around the tank, swims on his side, and scrapes himself over plants and rocks.

All a result of the bullying of the other fish - I thought.......... except the LARGER German Cobalt, who has not been the victim of any attacks, seems to have gone out in sympathy and is also darting around and twitching.

The Twinkle Spot couldn't be happier.

Any idea what's going on? Tne water was tested a week ago (at the store), just before I got the fish, and all was perfect. I've done 1 water change since - 25% two days ago.

Since most people here seem to advise to have discuds in groups of at least 6, my plan was to take all 3 back to the store, and wait 'til the Pidgeon Bloods were in stock, and then go home with 5 (OK - let's make it 6) fish all at once. And leave behind that original bully-fish!!

Just gotta hope they all survive the night.

When you say groups of 6, do you mean 6 of a kind, or can I mix 'em up a bit?

Marc.