PDA

View Full Version : Is three a crowd?

David N
04-03-2004, 12:17 AM
I have three blue diamonds that all breed on the same spot. :o I know one is a female because I saw eggs. The thing is that all three fish take turns going over the same area. ??? All three fish group together and don't try to pair off with any other fish, at least at this time. Is this common behavior?

Thanks,
David N

Kagan
04-03-2004, 01:53 PM
I had five of them trying to breed ;D.. common I guess. But they wont succeed ime. Try to select two of them and make a pair imo.

Kagan

GulfCoastDiscus
04-04-2004, 08:58 AM
I have the same with three Red Passion. 2 female and 1 immature male that just stares while the two lays eggs.

Dan

Barb Newell
04-04-2004, 11:19 AM
I have 3 (1 female -- 2 males) that have spawned together at least 6x. I have left them alone and let them do their thing. A pair has formed and one male is being pushed out.

Barb

April
04-04-2004, 11:49 AM
their young and learning..and most likely not fertile yet . so i say leave them for now..till as Barb says..you find two that are laying and ferilizing togeather then give them their own tank.

Barb Newell
04-04-2004, 12:18 PM
I don't get fry from them yet but we sure get a lot of laughs, it's hilarious. Sometimes, all five join in. They can barely fit around the pot. Eggs are flying all over the place, tubes dropped to the bottom of the tank, the shakes, one is catching the eggs as they come out of the tube of another, they're all making runs up the pot at the same time.... I love it!

Barb :)

David N
04-04-2004, 12:33 PM
Hi guys,
Thanks for sharing the experiences. I would venture to guess that my fish are somewhere between 9-12 months of age, so they're probably to young to figure things out. I don't have any extra tanks, YET, but someone suggested to me to leave new pairs in a tank for at least 10 breeding attempts before putting them in their own tank. I was told this teaches them to be more protective. Anyway, for the time being group sex it is! ;D

David N

Barb Newell
04-04-2004, 01:01 PM
LOL!

David N
04-28-2004, 08:09 PM
It's cofirmed. I have 2 females and one male. The male has been alternating between both females.

Would it make sense to put all three fish into one tank and let them try to raise the fry there? or Would it be better to put the females in separate tanks and move the male after a successful breeding?

Thanks
David N

jaydoc
04-28-2004, 08:56 PM
This group sounds like some folks I new in college!

limige
04-30-2004, 01:38 AM
lol, that's great, i have yet to witness it!

never say never, there's been a post where two pairs laid eggs and raised fry all together!! though uncommon stranger things have happened,.

05-09-2004, 07:05 AM
I don't get fry from them yet but we sure get a lot of laughs, it's hilarious. Sometimes, all five join in. They can barely fit around the pot. Eggs are flying all over the place, tubes dropped to the bottom of the tank, the shakes, one is catching the eggs as they come out of the tube of another, they're all making runs up the pot at the same time.... I love it!

Barb :)

I've got to agree with Barb. The shakes is what one of my Cobalts is doing. I can't yet tell if the papa will be the Wild Curipera or the Golden. They seem to have a triple-X thing going. It is fun watching the "mom" and "papas" chase everyone away from the heater. My mommas like the heaters to lay eggs on. ;D

**Angie**

Northwestcoastdisc
05-09-2004, 05:27 PM
They are young adults to learn to bond two fish to get little bit more older will successful spawning :) Better leave them alone.

Duncan

sky888
05-11-2004, 03:47 AM
I have a slight different case. I have this pair of goldens that was not spawning for a long time.. I have not been observing them for sometime, when I had an extra male (melon) from other tank and I just threw it into this tank with the 2 goldens

after 2 days I notice that this new melon male is chasing the golden male away from the breeding cone.. and I discovered that there are already so many fries (not yet free swimming) on the breeding cone!

So it is a case of the new melon male snatching the father role away from the golden male! and he is doing a great job.. infact the fries are now swimming around the melon male while the golden male is looking away at a corner

It's really a unique case for me...