PDA

View Full Version : gotta puppy, your best tips?

ReeferKimberly
04-03-2004, 09:42 PM
heya guys!
well i finally got a puppy after months of dreaming. i have had a dog but we got her at 2 years so i didn't go thru the whole puppy thing. i need your best tips/advice on potty training, training, and misc....

here is our 8 year old rhodesian mix meeting the newest member of our family. his name is Chewbaca (chewy for short). he is a chesapeake bay retriever and was born on valentines day. he got his name b/c when he grows up he will have brown curlyish fur.

;D ;D ;D
kimberly

p.s. see the missing carpet from where i flooded the house last week?

ReeferKimberly
04-03-2004, 09:45 PM
one more. he is cam shy...

paulmat
04-03-2004, 09:51 PM
Heres our latest addition,he just came into our house and started eating our dogs food,5 days later we found his owners but they didn't want him,can you imagine it,just throwing him out like that. Oh well he has a good home now.
Kim, just keep plenty of newspaper on the floor and keep moving it closer to the door ,he'll get it sooner or later.

Paul

SSrowr
04-03-2004, 09:51 PM
AWWW!!! Who doesn't love puppies! I have a black lab. She's a hefty old girl. I really want a husky... Blue eyed and beautiful.

LMAO about the carpet!! Sorry... that wasn't nice... ;)

korbi_doc
04-03-2004, 10:02 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: :bounce2: :bounce2:
CRATE CRATE CRATE Raise him in a crate, most natural way for a puppy to grow up!!! NEVER allow the "accidents"!! You won't regret it, but it is totally up to you to bring that about!
Whatever, enjoy him!! Chessy's are real nice dogs, can be a bit tough, but just need good firm training, Are you gonna work him in the fields??? great fun, lol, Dottie ;D

April
04-03-2004, 10:28 PM
sounds like fun..yes i agree with Dottie. crate train. best thing you can do for it. its his private quiet place..and when he wakes up you dont let his feet hit the ground. right outside. play with him..and back in the crate for a nap and again outside. and..they wont get into things when your not watching it or your out.and destroy things or eat things that will make him sick etc etc.
and..if he does ever need to go to the vet or groomers or go on a plane etc..hes used to his crate and considers it his bed and safety place.
that dog of yours..that you adopted SSowr looks like he has dane in him. better start buying the bag by 50 pounds at a time. lol.

SSrowr
04-03-2004, 11:25 PM
???
lol; it's not ma dog... ;D

April
04-03-2004, 11:43 PM
whoops..sorry. paulmat better go buy the food.
i have a spare dalmation..slightly used if anyone is interested .....
;D

ReeferKimberly
04-04-2004, 12:51 AM
constant barking, yelping, crying, yelling....

does that go away? does he get used to the crate over time? does he fall asleep????????????????

April
04-04-2004, 12:59 AM
yes...hes a baby. dont let him out everytime he cries..or he wil lfigure that worked... give him attention when hes not crying. hes just a baby having a temper tantrum. big changes..and new surroundings and new rules..it willl stop. get him good and tired..and put him to bed at about midnight..then up early. and work your way longer as he gets older. bear in mind puppies pee every hour or so when their awake. no bladder control yet..so as long as hes awake and playing..out every hour. then put hmi for a nap. give him a treat when you put him in the crate. a chew toy or something he likes that he just gets when he goes in the crate.

M0oN
04-04-2004, 01:02 AM
It might seem cruel but the absolute best way to train a puppy to not pee indoors is to first establish a phrase that they can associate with doing somthing wrong, most trainers use "OUT" in a mean loud voice as it mimics what mother dogs sound like when they scold their children.

After that, try and teach them not to do it without physical violence aside from a pat on the butt or nose, if they continue then rub their nose in it...

I've had over 10 puppy's and this has worked for me every time, if they don't give up the nose trick is a guarantee...it's not as bad as it seems...

susankay1
04-04-2004, 01:10 AM
Pretty puppies and the training works with cats too, if you start early enough.

paulmat
04-04-2004, 02:04 AM
Thanks April :P
I have had people say he looks like he has Boxer,pit bull, rottie in him, all I know is he is gonna be big :o

Paul

April
04-04-2004, 02:20 AM
Paul I can see signs of the pitbull face..shorter think nose..but id say dane and pit..looks like a very nice dog. you wouldnt get that dark face with rotti..no to rotti. and boxer...nah...his nose would be turned up more and different body..and more patchy or brindle . possible..but the ears..look dane. and the feet. and the dark muzzle.

paulmat
04-04-2004, 02:28 AM
I tend to agree with you Pril ;)
He's a solid dog :P
Paul

ReeferKimberly
04-04-2004, 12:50 PM
first night went pretty well. he cried for about 20 min after putting him in the crate and went to sleep. i read about putting a radio on low next to the cage b/c the silence scares them. he seems to like the classical station ;D

my bf and i took turns taking him out every two hours thru the night and every time we took him to the yard he went potty ;D ;D

there have been a couple mistakes but they were just while he was playing and just couldn't hold it.

the people we got him from said the litter were born outside and stayed there until adopted. it's great having my older dog b/c she acts as a protector and follows him around outside so he never gets lonely or bored. daisy already chases away the cats from him like they are predators trying to get her baby. i think they will be great friends and this is so good for daisy b/c she loves other dogs and has been lonely :)
kimberly :-*