PDA

View Full Version : New Discus, lower ph

Blix
04-04-2004, 12:17 AM
I just got my first Great Lakes discus from Mr. Cary Strong! They look great, all round and very clean. However due to a misunderstanding the fish came 4 days early! Luckily my mother was able pick up the fish and bring them home(I was gone). Unfortuneatly I did not have time to raise the qt tanks ph to resemble Carys. It was at about a ph of 6.8, I believe Carys grow outs are at about 7.5. Now the fish are in the tank, they have gone through the ph swing, my question will they be all right? Should I do anything else?
Just wanted to say again that the fish look great

Thanks,

Scott

RyanH
04-04-2004, 01:16 AM
Hey Scott,

Congrats on the new Discus. You can't go wrong with Cary.

As long as you took your time acclimating your fish there shouldn't be a problem. I will usually put my new fish in a pail with an airstone and SLOWLY add tank water over the course of an hour to an hour and a half.

Are they showing signs of stress?

Blix
04-04-2004, 02:11 AM
RyanH,

Thanks for your response. That's what I was worried about, you see I was unavailible, and my mom was also leaving town in the next hour when they arrived, so in her hurried state she just poured the fish in (thank god she had not left yet). They have been in the tank for a little over a day now.
As far as their condition they seem fine(no discoloration, etc.) Just very skittish, and not eating yet. I'm keeping the lights off still, probably turn them on tomarrow.

Thanks again,

Scott

RyanH
04-04-2004, 10:56 AM
Hey Scott,

If you don't have any, go get yourself some aquarium salt, drop a couple of teaspoons in per 10 gallons of water. This will help to ease stress.

If they continue to not eat for several days you may want to try live food like California Black Worms.

Keep us posted on their progress and if you have any other question don't hesitate to post.

-Ryan

Blix
04-04-2004, 11:01 AM
Thanks again Ryan,

I had thought about adding aquarium salt but now I defiantly will. I will try to post more updates and pictures with in the next few days.

Thanks,

Scott

Keystonediscus
04-04-2004, 01:18 PM
add the salt they will adjust Im sure it was a shock to the system but Carys fish are good fish and they will adjust soon Enough. You can also try bloodworms or Brine shrimp. both are very difficult for discus to ignore.

Blix
04-04-2004, 01:25 PM
Thanks KeystoneDiscus

I just did a wc and added the salt. I also turned the lights on. They seem to be doing a little better

thanks

Scott

Carol_Roberts
04-04-2004, 01:36 PM
It sounds like your mom dumped the bag water in with the fish too. Be sure to keep up with your daily water changes.

Blix
04-04-2004, 01:45 PM
That's right Carol wc,wc,wc,wc

Thanks

daveycrockett
04-04-2004, 02:24 PM
Congrats on the new additions :) post some pics

Is it the same effect on the fish going from a lower ph to a higher one? Are discus more tolerant of a ph swing than other fish like guppies or platys?

Carol_Roberts
04-04-2004, 02:44 PM
Discus do not like pH swings at all, but can tolerate going to a higher pH much better than a lower pH.

Blix
04-04-2004, 02:47 PM
Carol, That is exactly why I was worried

I'll try to post pics in few days

Thanks everyone

Blix
04-07-2004, 12:12 AM
I would like to thank every one who replied to my questions. All the discus have pulled out super stressed mode, and are now hastily eating and begging for more food every time I approach.

Scott