PDA

View Full Version : Silly question are you cooking the food prior to feeding ...mmm

nokoto
04-06-2004, 01:23 PM
Not sure, I assume you feed the heart raw uncooked...

Will discus not take plain beef heart on it's own with out any thing else...

Sorry I'm a bit new to this side of things...

And a fish dealer told me today feeding to much beef makes discus infertile, is this true? as the guy seemed to know what he was talking about thanks

I wanna cut my food bill down on my fish if I can, as I 1 beef hearts £4-5 and the stuff from the fish shop is £40

So it makes sense

Cheers People

Wayne

Carol_Roberts
04-06-2004, 06:25 PM
My beefheart is fed raw and I don't mix anything with it. I don't think it impacts fertility, but I feed a varied diet.

nokoto
04-06-2004, 06:44 PM
Ok

Thats what I thought, but the guy mentioned to me that discus solely fed on beefheart go infertile, for some reason I don't know why

I'll ask next time i see him

But I think I can make nearly 20 packs worth from a whole beef heart...

That's over £40 here I can get a whole heart for £5 mmm

I'm not sure if the food blender will make the food to small.

Cheers Wayne

Carol_Roberts
04-06-2004, 10:24 PM
Be very careful with the blender. IF it is ground too fine the discus will not eat it and it will really foul the water. If it is too big the discus won't eat it either. Experiment with small batches to see waht works best for you. You may have to use a gelatin binder.

alex_m
04-08-2004, 01:07 PM
Hi Wayne,

about the beefheart thing is bunch of bull.

If you want to intensify color in orange and red fish, you can

take some shrimp, peel them and put them briefly in boiling

water until they get orange.

For your beefheart iwould mix it with shrimp, spinach and garlic.

alex

suisoman2
05-19-2004, 03:06 AM
Hi'

Read an article in a german magazine last month , written by some famous German breeder. He was visiting sout east asia to see some of the local breeders out there. One one of the discus farms he saw the food preparation method , pictures are in the magazine. On that farm in Thailand countryside they made a bucketfull mixture of blood , meat, seafood , crushed gutts and stuff. This "soup" ??? as they called it was then cooked for a few hours untill it became a consistent paste , fed to their growout tanks. The discus looked healthy. It is the only report about cooking meat and blood ( with some extra's ) to feed young discus I ever saw.
They change almost 100% of the water twice a day though. the holding tanks covered with algae.
Just for info.