PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Water Changes

Himbo
04-07-2004, 12:21 AM
Currently I have a planted tank with 6 fish that are going well with 2-3 water changes a week. These changes take about 1/2 an hour or so with the syphoning of the poop.

I'm thinking of getting a few more tanks (bb) and have been reading all the posts by the professionals/semi-pros about how their systems of dozens of tanks are all automated. Does this mean they just sit there and press a button and all the poop is sucked out and 25% of the water is changed over? If so, can someone post the link to such a system please. If this can be done then I will definitely take the plunge, otherwise it may be too much of a hassel.

I'm dreaming, aren't I?

ronrca
04-07-2004, 10:06 AM
;) Not dreaming! Well, maybe! LOL!

Automating a planted tank to 'clean' itself (meaning uneaten food/feces) is very difficult because it needs to be remove with a vacuum! Most if not all 'self cleaning' systems are bare bottomed tanks, not allowing the food and feces to get 'caught' in the gravel!

Automating can also be used for filling and draining, leaving the vacuuming up to you to do! There any a few good ways to do that by using timers, float valves, etc! It depends on how automated you want to go I guess! ;)

Himbo
04-07-2004, 10:57 AM
Ah, maybe I should've read the DIY section of Simply more closely.... seems as if most of the automated systems people talk about are the water changes only. I want it all automated, the works. All I want to do is feed the fish and adjust the water parameters if needed. I hate sticking my hand in the aquarium to suck up poop. The only reason I bear it is because I like the fish so much. Can you point out a link to a system that does everything? I'm sure you're right, it can't be that hard with a barebottom....

Himbo
04-07-2004, 12:37 PM
Ronrca,

Okay, so I read more of the threads and found your "mini rack" system. How is it working? I couldn't find any updates since last year... is this system the complete system I've been looking for? If only I could get three to four tanks set up to do everything automatically.....

ronrca
04-07-2004, 06:22 PM
I have not updated the thread I suppose but I have build another stand for some 65Gs. The system works great! I have never used a python in the tanks. It all gets sweep to the back of the tank and sucked up! ;) I have some pics of the stand in the New fishroom section of my album.