PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a Questionssss..

Ozzie
04-08-2004, 12:09 AM
First off I would like to say Hello and this is a great site for information. I have been reading these forums for a little while now.
I'm getting back into the Discus hobby and have kept them before and from reading this. I did it all the wrong way. Even though They (4) thrived in a 20 gallon tank. I used a HOB filter with carbon (not good i have learned) but anyways....That is why i'm here

I have aquired a 90 D.A.S tank corner tank and would like to fill it with some Discus. It will be a bare bottom tank by the way. (1) Is anyone using these tanks? They have compartment that houses a heater and 2 bio filters with return pumps back into the tank. I have attached a pic and a description of the compartments. (2) This filter design should work just as good as having the sponge directly in the tank right? It just hides it pretty much.
I'm currently in the process of cycling the tank with some guppies which will be removed once the tank is ready. (3) What would you say is the max amount of discus for this syle and size tank?

Here is an example of the filter. Just imagine it having 2 bio filters. And here is write up of how the compartments work and how the water flows thru it....

Operation:
The water is drawn into the Heater Chamber (1) trough the intake comb which pulls the water from all levels of the aquarium to avoid stagnant areas. A heater (not supplied) may be housed here to provide for optimum water contact for a stable water temperature. The water enters near the top of the Media Chamber (2) traveling downward. In this chamber you can put carbon or other media. Always use a Carbon Box or nylon filter bags to hold the media used. The water exits at the bottom of the Media Chamber (2) into the Bio Filter (3). This chamber uses a double layer foam spool topped with a circulating water pump (3a). The water travels through the coarse and fine foam layers to the core of the spool, thus allowing a long contact time, creating the bacteria build up needed for effective filtration. The water is then returned via the water pump and outlet piping

Any opinions are welcome. Thanks!! Ozzie
I hope the Pic attaches!!!

Carol_Roberts
04-08-2004, 12:59 AM
The number of juveniles you can raise per gallon depends on the amount of water you change per day - not the type of filter you have. Is this a 90 gallon tank? Are you going to buy 3 inch discus? IF yes to both I'd start with 12 .

By the way, the best way to cycle your filter is with pure ammonia - no suds, no perfume. It takes the same amount of time, but can handle a bigger fish load right away and you don't have to worry about the parasites, etc. that guppies might bring in.

Ozzie
04-08-2004, 05:42 PM
Opps. Yes, it is actaully a 90 gallon corner tank and I plan on stocking it with 3" discus.

I have a question about cycling with ammonia Carol. How does the beneficial bacteria get into the tank if you don't cycle with fish and just use ammonia?

Carol_Roberts
04-08-2004, 11:31 PM
The beneficial bacteria are floating in the air. You can speed the process by adding a plant or media from a cycled tank, but risk parasites.