PDA

View Full Version : scratching

Bou
04-08-2004, 03:20 PM
Hi everyone,

Some of my fish stopped eating today... theyr'e darker and they don't look too well. I've noticed the last few days that they're moving in a peculiar way... ut they're moving like "snakes" ??? ??? ??? Moving there body in a weird way...

On top of that, they're scratching themselves on the heater and intake tube... and they're either facing the top of the tank or down in one corner.

They also make this weird movements with their mouth, like they're yawning or like they're choking on something.

What should I do?

My water parameters are fine, except maybe for the nitrAtes that are between 0-5 ppm (yellowish color on the test strips)... but then again, that's nothing w/c can't fix!

Anyways, I don't know what to do...
Any inputs would be appreciated.
Bou

Ardan
04-08-2004, 06:01 PM
Try daily wc's with aged water.

Add salt 2 tblsp/10 gal.

Check with water company to see if any changes in the water (spring runoff, chloramines etc)
If all above fails then a possible parasite.
Raise temp to 92F
Use prazi for possible flukes (scratching)

hth

Bou
04-08-2004, 08:46 PM
Ardan,

I'll try that... how long should I wait till I try prazi?
Where can I get some?

Thanks,
Bou

DiscusFevaa
04-08-2004, 10:13 PM
My Discus use to do this but after frequent water change with salt, they seem to do better now, I see less and less scratching and they are active and eating like pigs now. Try the water changes first before jumping on meds..

Bou
04-08-2004, 10:28 PM
Discusfeeva,

How long did it last? I mean the scratching and the treatment?

Thanks,
Bou

Carol_Roberts
04-08-2004, 11:34 PM
Have you recently added any new fish or plants? If yes, suspect parasites and treat with formalin or fluke tabs. IF nothing new must be water.

Bou
04-08-2004, 11:46 PM
Carol,
These are new fish... that's why I suspect something is wrong!
They are in a tank of their own. Previously, I cycled that tank with two runts which I had for over 2 years now. But then I got new fish and put them in this tank (and took the other two fish to another tank) and now the result is I see two of them twitch and scratch (and dark). The rest of them are fine though...

Bou

Carol_Roberts
04-08-2004, 11:52 PM
I'd try a dose of formalin and see if they get better right away . . . Here is a link - scroll down to "gill flukes or bacterial disease" http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=16348

They will show improvement within a few hours of the first dose.

Bou
04-09-2004, 12:01 AM
I can do this even with salt in the water?

Carol_Roberts
04-09-2004, 12:16 AM
Salt and formalin work really well together ;D

Bou
04-09-2004, 12:18 AM
Just what I needed to hear!
THANK YOU SO MUCH CAROL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

discusman69
04-09-2004, 12:58 AM
Hi Bou,

I suspect your tank is not cycled properly (not long enough!!!) therefore, the new fish might be stressed. Add some salt in the water should solve the problem. Never mind the aquarium salt, you could get some pickle salt from supermarkets such as Maxi or Super C (Cad$2,99 for box of 1Kg). Give me a call if you need further assistance. Sudden change in water quality could also be the source of the problem. Local water treatment centers have tendancy to add more chemicals in water during spring seasons (due to the melting of the snow).

Bin

Bou
04-09-2004, 02:30 PM
Hey Bin,

I went to the Maxi here in the West Island and I picked up 2kg of pickling salt for 4$... woohoo!!! I think they're doing something with the water here cuz I got a notice from the city telling me they were flushing the water distribution network... I don't really know what they mean by that, but I'll keep you posted when I find out.

Your discus are doing fine... still not eating tetra bits tho... :(
Cheers,
Bou

PS: You need to sell me some of your gold diamond... hehehe :)

discusman69
04-09-2004, 06:32 PM
Hi Bou,

Slow down the water changes for the time being and filter it thru charcoat before putting it into the fish tank.

Take care,

Bin