PDA

View Full Version : WELL WATER

toddmc
04-08-2004, 11:21 PM
Hello all i have some questions about my water..I have a well and several tanks in the past and my fish always very well.. So anyway I have a buddy of mine that works at water treatment plant.So I took a sample of my water down there and I wanted to see what you guys thought..ph7.2 hardness56ppm chlorides 55ppm co2 70ppm iron 0 i am still looking for info on the perfect water so any opinions will be appreciated thanks Todd

Carol_Roberts
04-08-2004, 11:37 PM
Sounds good to me - soft enought to breed in. Did you find out what your KH is?

fcdiscus
04-09-2004, 01:57 AM
That is prime stuff Todd! Frank ;)

toddmc
04-09-2004, 07:53 AM
Carol, Dumb question here but what does KH stand for if I find out soon enough he still has some of my water and he could test for that too.

Carol_Roberts
04-09-2004, 11:37 AM
I think it's carbonite hardness (buffer, alkalinity) With your soft water if the KH is under 3 you may have to watch for pH crashes (and add minerals) if it is over 3 you may be fine.

Divantie
04-09-2004, 02:18 PM
Water hardness is expressed as a concentration of calcium carbonate (mg/L as Ca CO3)
Classification of Hardness as Ca CO3
-Soft 0-75 mg/L
-Moderately hard 75-150 mg/L
-Hard 150-300 mg/L
-Very Hard over 300 mg/L
mg/L = ppm, mg/L is use in the water field more then ppm.
Groundwater is normally harder than surface water.

The most common method for determing calcium carbonate stability is the Langlier Saturation Index method. The index is equal to the measured pH minus the pHs (saturation). pHs is the theoretical pH at which calcium carbonate will neither be dissolved into or precipitated from water.

If pH - pHs =0, the water is in equilbirium.